Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine number

Chris1989

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn ss, Vh sle
I have a blue 308 an was wondering if it’s possible to tell what car the motor came from originally by the engine number as it’s not original motor from my Vh

SL/ENUT

The SL/E Fanatic!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E 5L
Sorta can. Whats the engine number? Also whats the cast date, its above the water pump.

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
It should be an early small valve 308 blue motor from either a VC Commodore or a WB commercial (not a Statesman). There's no way to tell which.

If it's an Aussie bolt pattern block (to bellhousing) then it came from a manual (M21 gearbox) vehicle, or if it's a Chev bolt pattern it was an auto (TH350). If auto, I'd think it would more likely be from a Commodore, but that's just a guess.

Cast date would be 9th of October 1980

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
~ late vc and early vh motors
Except the VH wasn't released until September 1981, so an October 1980 cast block is unlikely to have sat around for 11 months to find it's way into a VH.

Stranger things have happened though!

@Chris1989, I was just re-checking my notes and they say that blue motors which went into WB commercial vehicles at that time had "WT" prefixes for the 308, so that removes that possibility, meaning your motor must have come from a VC Commodore.

Andrew

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
If it's vh sle most likely was 253 like majority of them....vt prefix is enough to keep most content when 5 litre upgrade goes in.