Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine oil flush. Yes or No?

metester

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE E1 Clubsport R8
Thanks for teaching me how to get my post count up wraith. I just have to write troll dribble like your FIRST post that kicked this circus off.

"E1 Clubby R8 when only an 8 will do!"

kuzman89

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 ute
Can you guy's stop polluting this thread. This thread has more replies with better detailed responses anyway.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Kero and diesel aren't abrasive, but as said they dissolve the oil film in your engineso then you get metal scraping metal - goodbye bearings and seals.

XANDER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z SS
Thanks Xander. Great info there. Sounds like a good way to go.

No Problem mate.

If you keep up with the service intervals you wont need to flush your engine. Just monitor your oil.

Also your service intervals depend very highly on the type of driving you do.

If your average trips only last 10-15 mins your oil will break down faster due to condensation and fuel blow by not having enough time to evaporate as your oil is not at operating temp and which will eventually end up as sludge.

5000k is a good average time to service your car. But if your doing only short trips every day it might take you a while to rack up 5000km so change your oil 6-8 months. And agian this all depends on the type of oil you buy. If you buy good oil (synthetic) you can extend if you buy $20 kmart crap then shorten it.

Anyways I just did my missus XR6T today put some Penrite 10 tenths Synthetic 5W60. $53 For 5L @ Repco a bargain considering the oil is Group IV (POA) / V (ESTER) Synthetic oil. 4L left over that I can use in my Fireblade which am doing next weekend. Fist time I used it but so far very nice. Engine is quieter and the turbo spools nicely only a quick drive around the block at this stage to check for leaks. Could be a the placebo effect as well. You expect the car to feel different after an oil change.

I will see what its like in my Fireblade next weekend. If its good I will get some more from Repco for the SS when I change it.

Anyways Have a good Bathurst tomorrow everyone, Don't Drink and Drive, and Your Car Cant Handle like the ones on TV so DRIVE SAFE.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I change my oil every 5k and run an engine flush for 10 minutes at idle before I dump the old oil. You get more of the old stuff out as it thins the oil a little so it drains faster.

Ive clocked over 190,000kms and have no oil leaks or abnormal engine noises. The flush is designed so as to not damage gaskets or seals while retaining lubrication properties.

Im also a Holden Tech and we use the flush on many cars on a daily basis and have not seen any negative results. The only time there is a risk is when the engine is sludged as the flush may dislodge a chunk of sludge which can then block oil galleries or the pickup.

Chris Payne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo E3
do you need to flush your engine if you are running a cam and change the oil every 5000km?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
You dont need to, but it wont hurt either.

Joey24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Ricey, what engine/oil flush do you use?

boostin01

Reaction score
Members Ride
a few holdens
Adding diesel to the oil before the change is interesting. I have never heard of that one.

Cheers

additives are a multi-million dollar industry, majority are based on simple products