Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine oil flush. Yes or No?

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
It would be good to have a look inside your engine to see if there's any sludge or crap built up first.
But you would have to remove a rocker cover at least to see anything, or stick a mini camera up the sump plug hole.
I've never bothered to use one...
I was thinking about taking off the rocker cover but looks like a prick of a job , not like back in the day where you just remove 6 bolts and job done .

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Agree with you there. That's the problem, you might be flushing an engine that doesn't need it, and if it's full of crud a flush is probably only going to remove 20% of it. The oil pickup is probably the thing it's going to clean the best as it's going to be bathed in it in the sump.
Just go by the colour of your oil if it's black and goes black quickly you've got a dirty engine.
Also choose an oil with strong long lasting detergents.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Agree with you there. That's the problem, you might be flushing an engine that doesn't need it, and if it's full of crud a flush is probably only going to remove 20% of it. The oil pickup is probably the thing it's going to clean the best as it's going to be bathed in it in the sump.
Just go by the colour of your oil if it's black and goes black quickly you've got a dirty engine.
Also choose an oil with strong long lasting detergents.

It has been serviced by the book plus had additional oil changes inbetween so i guess ill give it a miss . Thanks everyone for your input .

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
It has been serviced by the book plus had additional oil changes inbetween so i guess ill give it a miss . Thanks everyone for your input .
That`s what I do too. 7500k :beer chug:

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
have flushed mine always since I have been doing the services (for 100,000klm)after warranty ran out, flush is only $12 so no biggy), used penrite oils, doesn't get that dirty, discoloured but not black as such,

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I use the nulon flush every 3 or 4 changes, never had a problem with any car doing so, but I don't let them sludge up too.
new oil every 5k is a lot cheaper than a clagged engine in 100,000k or so

Elanthea Taueki

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore vz
Hi all just enquiring would i need to do a oil change if hubby put about 3/4 cup of water in oil compartment after realizing what he had done.Then stuck in Helix 15/40 synthetic oil, which the correct oil should have been SAE 5w/30 or 10w/30API SL/SM

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Oil change yes for the water.

15/40 won't hurt but its water contaminated now so it has to be dumped anyways, also fit a new filter.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yeah don’t run it. Water isn’t a good high pressure lubricant lol.

Won’t do any harm if you dump the oil straight away and put fresh stuff in then get it up to operating temperature to evaporate any residual moisture.

Btw - the oil you used won’t be synthetic. It only states that it uses ‘synthetic technology’. I believe there must be at least 2% (or thereabouts from memory) synthetic base for them to use the word ‘synthetic’ on the packaging.

Bit of a marketing gimmick. Be careful with that. Make sure you get a fully synthetic oil such as penrite hpr5, shell helix hx8 or the 5w30 nulon in the gold bottle.