Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine oil flush. Yes or No?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I change my oil every 5k and run an engine flush for 10 minutes at idle before I dump the old oil. You get more of the old stuff out as it thins the oil a little so it drains faster.

Ive clocked over 190,000kms and have no oil leaks or abnormal engine noises. The flush is designed so as to not damage gaskets or seals while retaining lubrication properties.

Im also a Holden Tech and we use the flush on many cars on a daily basis and have not seen any negative results. The only time there is a risk is when the engine is sludged as the flush may dislodge a chunk of sludge which can then block oil galleries or the pickup.

Yepp this is what I have been told by a number of mechanics and engine builders. On all our almost new cars we've had, the dealers service them and they always flushed it. My bro in law uses flush in his workshop and mates who are mech's working on European cars used flush in the workshop. If my car had been flushed since new I would be flushing it now. But I don't know the service history so won't risk it, in case I block my pickup screen.

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
That seems to be a common concern re blocking the pickup. Kind of fuzzy logic to me tho as you'd expect the flush to clean the pickup as well and if there's that much crap in your engine then there's good reason to flush it.
But to be honest I don't touch the stuff I just do regular changes with Synpower and haven't had an issue. Fingers crossed!! ;)

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The pickup does become blocked, and it’s very common. Oil is being constantly sucked through the mesh in the pickup - and any solid matter will remain in the pickup regardless of whether you use an engine flush or not. If you use a flush on a sludged up engine, solid pieces of gunk will break loose and can be sucked up by the pickup, further blocking that mesh.

If an engine’s been kept clean and flushed regularly, flushing is fine as a part of regular preventative maintenance. If you’re flushing to try and remove large amounts of sludge you’re likely to do more damage than good.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Never did a flush on the VS but did get blocked pickup.
If you put your fingertips together that was the size of the ball of **** in the sump.
It was that sticky oil and the 10000k changers previous owner did.
After did 2500k oil changers with flush to motor till clean still going good.
5000k changes always in the VS.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Depends on the oil you use too. If you use a cheaper mineral oil it’ll break down much sooner than a quality synthetic.

I usually do 10,000-12,500km between services on my vs v8 with semi synth or synth (whichever’s on special) penrite. However mostly highway driving and on lpg too so the oil stays relatively free from contaminants.

Elanthea Taueki

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden commodore vz
Hi all so my last post was about the wrong oil been put into the car,which was helix15/40 full synthetic Oil light kept coming on .Now was out on monday and the car died,tryed starting it,it shook and could hear klonking sound.Sounded like a truck when driving it.A few guys have said it could be a time chain,pistons something rod.So any info is apperciated just hoping it ain't Stuffed.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Depends on the oil you use too. If you use a cheaper mineral oil it’ll break down much sooner than a quality synthetic.

I usually do 10,000-12,500km between services on my vs v8 with semi synth or synth (whichever’s on special) penrite. However mostly highway driving and on lpg too so the oil stays relatively free from contaminants.
I changed to ACDelco 20W50 mineral oil which is made by Fuchs.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Hi all so my last post was about the wrong oil been put into the car,which was helix15/40 full synthetic Oil light kept coming on .Now was out on monday and the car died,tryed starting it,it shook and could hear klonking sound.Sounded like a truck when driving it.A few guys have said it could be a time chain,pistons something rod.So any info is apperciated just hoping it ain't Stuffed.
That’s not synthetic as mentioned earlier.