Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Oil Level

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Anyone wanna estimate (or perhaps you actually know) the amount of additional oil in the sump if it measures 2.3cm above the upper mark on the dip stick?

Why am I asking?
Had the car serviced today, so I checked the oil level because they have over filled before.

VE sedan, LY7 engine (Alloytec)

Last edited:

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
Ok, I'll check it again in the morning before I start the engine (yes, it's on a level surface)

I have some concern because of what is stated in the Holden Owner's Handbook, which is specific to both the V6 & V8

If the level is lower than the ADD mark, top up with enough oil to reach the UPPER mark.
Take care not to add too much, as the reading should never be over the UPPER mark....

...Maintaining a proper oil level is also an important factor in controlling oil consumption.
An over-full engine will splash oil onto the cylinder walls in quantities greater than the piston rings can control.
This excess oil is drawn into the combustion chamber and burnt, or may result in aeration of oil in the sump causing damage to the engine

Redline16

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 VFII SSV Redline Manual
I reckon for that to happen you would have to over fill it by a litre or more

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
I would assume the checking procedure would be the same for all models, even though I always check my oil when it is cold and has been sitting overnight the actual Holden handbook says to check it when engine has been stopped for a few minutes ie when filling with fuel, so the mechanic would check the oil in this manner, he would not leave for hours then check it. After I have my VX SS serviced and check it say 2 or 3 minutes after turning engine off it is usually smack on the full line, if I check it the next morning after sitting overnight the level has risen about 1.5 cm above the full mark. No matter whether it was serviced at Holden or the local mechanic it usually appears over full if left overnight.

Nitro_X

Numbskull
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SV6
I would assume the checking procedure would be the same for all models, even though I always check my oil when it is cold and has been sitting overnight the actual Holden handbook says to check it when engine has been stopped for a few minutes ie when filling with fuel, so the mechanic would check the oil in this manner, he would not leave for hours then check it. After I have my VX SS serviced and check it say 2 or 3 minutes after turning engine off it is usually smack on the full line, if I check it the next morning after sitting overnight the level has risen about 1.5 cm above the full mark. No matter whether it was serviced at Holden or the local mechanic it usually appears over full if left overnight.

Yeah, I think I understand what you're getting at here, so checking in the manner you or the service tech would do, suggests some oil will still be in the engine's plumbing?

This is why I'm not sure if the level is correct or not, because my owners handbook (different to a service manual) doesn't say when to check the level, ie: at normal engine temp just after switch off, or wait until engine cools for 'x' amount of time.

I've always thought the correct time to check oil level is when all the oil would have drained back into the sump, to provide a more accurate reference point.

*To the other fellas, I don't really have the right living/residence situation to do my own oil/filter change, and to drain the sump and recheck would require using the spares jack on one side, slide under, lower, check, repeat, (basically a pain is the arse process and why I pay for a workshop service)

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
been ticked off a few times by customers who claimed we over or under filled their sumps , they think they know best and when asked to check the oil level before cold starting they just go with oh what difference will that make ????? .
customer is always right until proven wrong then your a smart arse coz you made them look silly ?????