Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine oil life

PTRSEN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SIDI SV6 UTE
took the ute to holden a few weeks ago for its 15000K service. checked the engine oil life on engineering mode before hand and it was at 7%, so obviously needed changing. picked the car up and it was still at 7% but i thought it might take abit of driving for the computer to register the change. so its been two weeks and its now down to 3%. i'm no mechanic but i checked the dipstick and it looks like fairly new oil (i think) and it says on service report oil change. so why isnt it registering on the computer?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
The oil life counter should be reset by the mechanic, yours obviously didn't bother. They think you don't know about engineering mode so they don't bother to reset the oil life thinking you won't notice. You can relax though as they would have still changed the oil. Your best bet is google it, how to reset oil life, its similar to resetting service reminder, very easy, so easy i'd expect better from Holden. Restet it yourself and you're away.

lease1

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Ute
To reset engine oil life in engineering mode, turn ignition so the reds are on, dont start it, and press accelerator three times quickly. Oil life will be reset to 99%

jdodd

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn Berlina
took the ute to holden a few weeks ago for its 15000K service. checked the engine oil life on engineering mode before hand and it was at 7%, so obviously needed changing. picked the car up and it was still at 7% but i thought it might take abit of driving for the computer to register the change. so its been two weeks and its now down to 3%. i'm no mechanic but i checked the dipstick and it looks like fairly new oil (i think) and it says on service report oil change. so why isnt it registering on the computer?

the reason why the oil life would not have been reset is because it is not used for anything in this market. it may be used in saudi or the us. the ecu won't do anything with the information and neither will the instrument panel. its just there. so holden mechanics don't really bother with it. why waste time on something most every day customers don't see.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Correct jdodd.

affinity

Reaction score
Members Ride
International (Dual Fuel) VE MY10 Sedan, 3.6L 4A
To reset engine oil life in engineering mode, turn ignition so the reds are on, dont start it, and press accelerator three times quickly. Oil life will be reset to 99%

This does not work for me. My mechanic guided me through resetting service reminders, but it isn't a service reminder item -- now at 5% just after 15k service. I actually replaced the oil at 5k at my mechanic, but didn't bother with resetting the oil life then. I expected it to reset for the 15k service though.

Not sure if MY10 software is different, but does anybody know how to reset oil life for this one? My car is dual fuel (factory), the "instant fuel" doesn't work, but the dealer said that was normal for factory dual fuel cars.

UFO

I Believe
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 VE International Sportwagon SIDI 3L
i have a MY10 and oil reset works for me fine.

turn key to ON (but not starting the car), press go pedal fully to the floor 3 times (doesnt have to be quick... just has to be flat to floor each time), then turn key to OFF.
next time you start, oil should be 100%.

if this doesnt work, maybe its got something to do with the dual fuel.... but unlikely.

ads18x

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY10 SV6 Ute
wont work for me, dont know whats wrong