Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine oil life

VTPREDATOR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS SPORTSWAGON
so was fartassing around with the trip computer and figured out how to enter engineering mode and came across the engine oil life function. my car has only done 6500km, with the free service done on schedule. The reading said 43%. Is this something I should be worried about? or is it just a pointless guage?

cheers,

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
Pointless,

Can be reset to 100% if you plan on using.

pablo

Donating member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Was a 1997 vt v6 wagon
Of what I understand, the first 'service' is only a check over of the vehicle. They don't change the engine oil till the scheduled 15000 service' unless you ask and then pay for the oil and filter.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
The problem with the engine oil life indicator is that it resets to 0% if you disconnect the battery...

I was using it before,NAND would reset it when I changed the oil, but because of the above limitation, it's kinda useless.
Afaik, I don't even think Holden will reset the engine oil life indicator when they service the vehicle.
(and it makes sense too, as the feature is only available in the unpublished engineering mode, which most customers will never see)

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Forget about the oil life reading.

You should be worried that you are still running around on the original engine oil at 6500 kms. The standard book first "service" does not include a change of oil/filter. You should have both changed now and be sure you use the recommended oil. Then change the oil/filter again at 10,000 kms and at least at 5000 km intervals after that, ie. 15000, 20000, 25000 etc. It's cheap maintenance to minimise engine wear with effective lubrication, to maintain good oil pressure and avoiding sludge build up in the engine.

The 15000 km oil change intervals for the VE are absolutely ridiculous for most private owners and are a sop to those seeking bare minimum maintenance costs (especially fleet owners who turn the cars over every 3 -4yrs - when the car is out of warranty) as well as a sop to environmentally sensitive Governments who continually lobby manufacturers to increase oil change intervals to reduce the volume of waste oil (even though it is all recyclable).

MikeCuzzy

Jumping puddles
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Omega 3.6L
If you wanna see what you oil is like, have a look on the dipstick.

The reading is completely useless in Engineering Mode.

XANDER

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Z SS
Of what I understand, the first 'service' is only a check over of the vehicle. They don't change the engine oil till the scheduled 15000 service' unless you ask and then pay for the oil and filter.

Yup that's right. You need to request it to be done. Btw the dealer told me that the initial oil in the car when engine is new is not Synthetic its a run in oil for the engine.

I picked my SS up today and will do an oil change next weekend. I will change it with a dyno oil and at 3000km inspection I will change it to a synth. And then every 7500km.

15000km is too much considering they are using a 0w-30 oil. I will change mine to 15w40. In Australian conditions there is no need to go any lower 15w as we dont see anything close -15deg C and 30 in the summer is just too thin.

0W-30 oil should be roughly used in a climate that between -30<->+30 Deg C where as a 15w40 is ideal for Australia climate -15<->+50 deg C

bdv

Reaction score
Members Ride
Omega
Do you know some cars don't have dipsticks? Apparently they have been made redundant as there is already one behind the wheel

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Oil is relatively cheap as are replacement filters. Suggest you seriously consider oil and filter changes about every 5,000 km - regardless of what Holden recomend.