Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Oil

Mike3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Commodore
just brought VY SS Commodore LS! Gen 3, and is due for a service can somebody advise what type of engine oil is best to use?

Thanks

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
have a look in the old owners manual and it will say, if its the same as my SS it will be 10-30w
i use valvoline engine armor 10-30w, can get it from supercheap i think its about $40

sp001in

vyma100
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY ute
Lower the vehicle and fill the crankcase with
the required amount of 10W30 SJ ILSAC GF2
engine oil.
NOTE: If this oil is unavailable, a 20W50 SJ or
15W/40 SJ engine oil should be used.
ENGINE OIL CAPACITY
Without Oil Filter Change 5.2 litres
With Oil Filter Change 5.7 litres

NOTE: Synthetic oils of this viscosity are also an
acceptable engine lubricant.

I would recommend Penrite 10w-40 from Autobarn. it's $49.95 and you get 20% free so you get 6Litres.

rydogz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II SS
castrol edge 10w-60 is my choice. search ls1.com.au for DEEP discussion about oil :idea3:

maysy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Commodore
In my VY SS S2 Mobil 0w 40. Yes plenty of discusion on this site but more on bobistheoilguy who know oil and back their statements with testing, American motor so american know how. Some of their recomened oils included a Euro Castrol oil, next best Amsoil 0w 30 followed by mobil 5w 30.Because of our heat here in the WEST I went for the fourth choice Mobil one 0w 40. Now I have tried the veritable 10w 60 Castrol that the oil guy here reccomends because of the protection and shear rate and crap but honestly my engine hated it. Before people get on here and kick my head in about my oil choice I will say here and now I dont really want or care about your opinion on oil or how 1200hp speed boat engines like 10w 60 so we should use it in our stock LS1s. If you make high horsepower....... well use 10w 60 but if not look elsewere. Simple

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
use engine armour 10-40, just because of the heat in summer i find 10-30 burns quite a lot

faBReGaS

Reaction score
Members Ride
251rwkw VY SS
Nulon 10w 40 full synthetic here, no noise from lifters and runs a treat :)

maysy1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Commodore
I use royal purple 5w30 and live up in cairns, in my ve and it runs perfect with no oil burning

I have also used a 5w 30 in my VY SS S2 it loved it and never burnt oil even in our heat here in wa. I went the 0w 40 mobil oil and the Yank mobil one filter because I wanted to go out to 10k service intervals and the high ambient temps will playing on my mind.