Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine oil!!!

chris oo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx lumina
Hi People,
i have a vx lumina 3.8 l was wondering if any could recomend a really good engine oil and the viscosity i do about 28,000 kms a year to and from work and i take her on drives a couple of times a month. thanks in advance

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
20W/50 I use this and its fine,if your car has done alot of kms then use the SUPER 20W/50

Kunu

chasing the big 300!!!
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
97VT SSsuper6(179rwkw),daily barina,2008 VE Clubby
I used to use penrite HPR 10W/50 think it was but now car has over 200k so use penrite 20W/50 and runs like a dream!!

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Yep, 20W50 is the oil of choice for the ecotec.

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
i know this has/is done time and time again but....

since having my car converted to LPG i've noticed it uses more oil, first oil change when i bought the car which had fresh oil in it was .5 of a litre down on the first change. i don't know what oil was used, i've used castrol magnetec 10w40.

since having the car converted to LPG which burns hotter and it's now using around 2 litres every 5 to 6 thousand K's

so tomorrow i'm changing to penrite semi synth 15w60 hope fully it will use less oil

BTW the runs like new with no issues

i guess as the engine ages gets modified the oil needs change

Full Spectrum

Bro it's a VW your Audi!
Reaction score
Website
www.news.com.au
Members Ride
Berlina V6
I use this. Been in my motor for 2 years.

350_100342.jpg

GEN3RATD

100% Teflon
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Maloo
hey mate your best bet is to check your service records and just keep using whatever its been serviced with before

oska

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx custom 600RR
so i changed the oil today went from castrol 10w40 which i was very happy with, to penrite 15w60

all i can say WOW, who would of thought oil could make such a difference, the engine is super quite and feels better than ever, not a single tick from a cold start

i guess as someone mentioned above the older the engine the thicker the oil should stay at when at temp

my engine is at 210,000 k

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
so i changed the oil today went from castrol 10w40 which i was very happy with, to penrite 15w60

all i can say WOW, who would of thought oil could make such a difference, the engine is super quite and feels better than ever, not a single tick from a cold start

i guess as someone mentioned above the older the engine the thicker the oil should stay at when at temp

my engine is at 210,000 k

Is that the penrite semi synthetic HPR15? I use that in my VS ecotec and Ive found its excellent oil...fairly cheap too.

Crewmanss 06

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss Thunder crewman
yeah i use the penrite HPR 15 in my missus vx wagon & when i found out what oil holden used in my ss Thunder 6.0ltr think it was that valvoline syn power changed that to full synthetic penrite & it was the quietest 6.0ltr while running & when i sold that & got a seven seater Gu patrol due to to many kids lol
i even changed that to Hpr 15 i,ve used penrite oil for all the cars i have had since i was 18 & will never change even use penrite out board oil & 2 stroke oil for my boat