Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Oil

Brenah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon
Hay guys.

Just wondering what other VZ owners use as there engine oil for the Alloytech.?

Iv'e done 2 services now with Castrol Edge 5-30W at 5,000km intervals.

First service i did, the oil came out really black and sludgy, i don't think the person who owned it b4 me did a oil change at all.

With the Castrol its still got a golden tint and perrrs the best its ever perrrd

Cheers

Brendan

richardpalinkas

Blown Alloytec
Reaction score
Members Ride
Raptor Impulse VZ SV6
i just use normal 10w40 or 10w30, hasnt done anything bad yet, i will probably be going 5w30 castrol edge just so it can have some good stuff in it for willowbank and C4C

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Black and sludgy is a very very bad sign. It wouldnt have been your choice of oil that caused it but the lack of servicing by the previous owner.

If youre lucky it wasnt too bad and has cleaned itself up, otherwise your engine is a ticking timebomb Im afraid.

Did you change the oil filter cartridge?

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK Holden Commodore Wagon w/3.8L Buick
To answer your question I use Royal Purple oil in my car. Once every 6 weeks I run diesel oil through the car for 2000km then flush it before putting Royal Purple back in.

Trent L

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VZ Calais 190Kw
Well I just thought I'd give Penrite HPR 5 a try. 5W-40 and I'm happy so far, especially on these colder mornings.

Mind you some gorilla must have tightened up the to of the filter - so it was a marathon effort to get it off & replace the cartridge - but all good now.

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Every 6 weeks. Though I supposed I could cut it back down to 6 months.

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
To answer your question I use Royal Purple oil in my car. Once every 6 weeks I run diesel oil through the car for 2000km then flush it before putting Royal Purple back in.

every 6 weeks you add diesel for 2000 then do an oil change?, wow waste of oil, just change it every 5000 and u wont have any problems

azazeldeath

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I learnt very young that if you want a healthy engine you need good quality oil and regular changes.

Plus my mums Commodore is almost the complete opposite in servicing. And honestly it runs like crap now. And I noticed the same in friend's Alloytecs. So I would rather spend more money on the oil then the rebuild later on.

Brenah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Wagon
Cheers for the reply's fellas.
Yeah i change the oil filter cartridge each time.
When sludge came out, it came out first, then the black oil. I didnt run very smooth when i first got it at 120k. But after the Castrol Edge changes it has smoothed it right out. Now at 130k.

Another thing, have i heard wrong or right. Can you get a higher flow oil filter?

Cheers