Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine oil

henstepper

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY commodore Executive s2
Just curious as to the difference between SAE 10w/30 and 10w-40 is? My user manual actually says for best fuel economy use SAE 10w-30 And if that is not available use 15w/40 or 20w/50 But i think it's always had 10w-40 in it. I had it serviced about 3 months ago and discovered they put 10w/40 in it which seems strange considering it's not what it specify s in the manual.

So What do I do? Can I add 15w/40 to whats in there or do i have to get it re done with proper spec oil?

Last edited:

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Best to change the oil yourself then you know EXACTLY what's in it. Agree with that?

henstepper

Reaction score
Members Ride
Best to change the oil yourself then you know EXACTLY what's in it. Agree with that?

Unfortunately I don't have the facilities or equipment to do it myself. That's not really answering my question

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Just curious as to the difference between SAE 10w/30 and 10w-40 is? My user manual actually says for best fuel economy use SAE 10w-30 And if that is not available use 15w/40 or 20w/50 But i think it's always had 10w-40 in it. I had it serviced about 3 months ago and discovered they put 10w/40 in it which seems strange considering it's not what it specify s in the manual.

So What do I do? Can I add 15w/40 to whats in there or do i have to get it re done with proper spec oil?
It is specified in the manual - it's a sliding scale. Leave it as is until the next service when you can request the oil you want.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport
Given you describe your car as a Bombadore and that it has 300,000kms on the clock, you could probably use cooking oil o_O

Seriously, oil numbering has meaning. For example, 10W-30 API SG, the W stands for winter and the preceding 10 is the cold whether viscosity number. The second 30 is the viscosity rating measured at 100C. The lower the viscosity number the easier the oil flows. The API SG defines the oil characteristics other than viscosity and the manufacture will specify what grade must be used.

Having a low winter viscosity makes it easier to get the oil to where it's needed when starting on a very cold morning (cold = -20C). The second number is the viscosity when the engine is warmed up which in an older clapped out motor (wide oil clearances) you want it to be thicker than in a younger motor (tight oil clearances) otherwise you'd have low oil pressure.

But i'm not 100% sure as i don't play with oil viscosity/specifications and simply follow what the manufacturers recommendations.
Others may know more and be able to enlighten us both :cool:

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Ecotec engines aren’t that fussy when it comes to oil mate any of the grades you’ve mentioned would be just fine

henstepper

Reaction score
Members Ride
I thought us much. I ended up taking it back to the place that did the service, the reason i asked was because my engine oil was on the fill line after only 3 months. i told that to the mechanic and no explanation as to why i was low on oil. There were a few possibilities though, he said i was burning oil which there was no evidence of, no smells or discolored fumes, They didn't fill it up all the way during the service, or maybe the oil that was in it had not been changed for a while so the engine was dirty and the new oil cleaned all the sludge out. Either way there are no leaks, no burning smell so they topped it up and will monitor over 4 weeks