Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Overheating

dazamaz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS 02, Kawasaki ZZR-600
Hi guys,

I have recently been having the problem of the engine overheating while stopped at the lights. Before this happened the temperature gauge wouldn't get above half when at the lights and now it gets to quite dangerous levels where the temperature warning light is going off.

I had not done anything to the car before this started happening (Except for fiddling with power windows). Anyhow, what I have done is top up the engine oil as I noticed that it was getting a little low (just above the fill line) and there was no difference. I got told to check to see if the radiator cooling fan was working and that works.

Any help on this would be great guys, as I don't want to take it to a mechanic and pay them hundres just to tell me what the problem is :(

Anyway,
Thanks guys
daza

fazz1977

myspace.com/fazz_himself
Reaction score
Website
www.buttonhole.com.au
Members Ride
1992 VP Executive Wagon, L27 V6 3800
Mine used to do that so I took it to the radiator place after I worked on it a bit. Turned out to be a partially blocked radiator and a jammed thermostat. The thermostat would be my first port of call. $15 bucks and it's an easy job... on a series 2. Series 1 VN is a bit tricky.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Well a low oil level would contribute, but as thats already checked and the fan is working, i've made two lists, first list is things you can check and cross off the list before it goes to a mechanic, second list is things that could be faulty and require replacing.

First: Things to Check:
1.) Make sure there is the right amount of coolant and that its good coolant, not just cheap stuff or water.
2.) Next thing to check is take the radiator cap off and make sure there is no bubbles in the coolant/radiator. If there is you might have a cracked head/leaking head gasket.
3.) Check the level of coolant in not only the overflow bottle, but also under the radiator cap. If the coolant level is low under the radiator cap theres a problem with coolant circulation, perhaps a blockage in the radiator.
3.) Check the Thermostat as fazz said, or grab a new one for $15.

Secondly, Things that could be faulty/need replacing:
1.) Blocked air passage in the radiator core which means take it to the radiator joint so they can clear it or replace the radiator if the core itself is stuffed.
2.) Water pump.
3.) Last resort, Could possibly just be the temperature guage that is faulty or the temperature sender... But go to a radiator place first to make sure the cooling system is fine.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
well, i cant add too much to whats already been said...but another thing to look at is the plastic fixtures which connect the hoses up to the radiator.
they tend to get hair-line cracks which are hard to spot.

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
is it losing coolant?