Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Calypso299

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Series 2 Berlina ecotek v6
Hi, have a 99 v6 Berlina. Having engine problems and no mechanic has a clue. Replaced the big end bearings and the lifters came loose so got them replaced after a little while. Before the lifters were done we were having power issues (no grunt) and shuddering at idle or low speeds. Was told it was the lifters so fixed them. Now appearently it is backfiring in the manifold. Got it plugged into a computer and it said there was a problem with the O2 sensor, got that replaced. Still happening. Any ideas. Mechanic has had the car for a month and I really need my transport back.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
What kinda milage does it have?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Has anyone checked the 3 ignition coils? These will cause backfiring and shuddering etc when they get old and start to fail. You cant trust the results you get when testing these coils with a multimeter either, Ive seen these coils show to be ok on the multimeter, but still caused backfiring and spluttering etc. The best way to test these coils is to replace them, one at a time, with a brand new or known working coil, then drive the car each time to see if the problem is gone.

Calypso299

Reaction score
Members Ride
Had another vt which I bought MSD coil pack, barely driven, maybe 20kms. Got the berlina and put the pack on it. Done maybe 2000kms on this car with it. Only moved the coil pack not that base part. Could that be something?

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
The Base Part can become faulty, Mines failed before causing rough idles and misses.

Benji885

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 manual
I was gunna say coil pack

Calypso299

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok so going to make sure he's done the coil pack and the base bit. Thanks to everyone for the help. Any other suggestions?