Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine rattle on down rev

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
The pushrods could be hitting the holes in the heads or lifter preload up the ****

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The pushrods could be hitting the holes in the heads or lifter preload up the ****
Would the noise go away with a few revs if they were hitting?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just took it to the local mech and he wasn't sure. He suggested maybe a chain.
Is it possible that the extra lift has made a rattling chain worse? It always had a slight rattle but you could barely hear it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
So just started it again and the noise is not there; it's only once the engine gets hot that it starts. It would seem that when you have a bit more oil pressure the noise goes away. You can also hear the noise for one second, once you shut the engine off.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
From looking through the JC forums I'm suspecting it could be a timing chain issue. Thoughts on TC issue?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
did you check that theres preload on every lifter? Preload will decrease/clearance will increase as the engine warms. Definitely make sure the pushrods arent making contact with the holes in the head. This happened on later ecotecs as the castings changed slightly - there may have been a similar issue with the buicks. Fix is to either replace pushrods with smaller diameter units or grind/file out each hole (not ideal).

Problem has only started now that you've replaced the rockers - it'll be something to do with that.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
did you check that theres preload on every lifter? Preload will decrease/clearance will increase as the engine warms.

Problem has only started now that you've replaced the rockers - it'll be something to do with that.

There was preload on every lifter. I have no way of measuring how much. The instructions just said to torque to spec, which I did. Does the rattle in the vid sound like preload?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
There was preload on every lifter. I have no way of measuring how much. The instructions just said to torque to spec, which I did.
Did you turn the engine over to tdc on the compression stroke of each cylinder before installing each pair?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If it is preload would the noise be constant even when revs are say 2k? As it is the noise goes away with some revs.