Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine rattle on down rev

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Set of pushrods is cheap
How much extra length would i need? I have longer ones already. Could a loose chain have any affect on preload?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The power has dropped over the last few weeks. I thought I had a burnt out valve or something because it really is a noticeable difference from when i fitted the CAI. Maybe the heads need a reco i have NFI but it was certainly more powerful a month or two ago.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
I’d swap engines before I started playing with timing chains or heads tbh. From both a cost and a time standpoint.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I’d swap engines before I started playing with timing chains or heads tbh. From both a cost and a time standpoint.
700 bucks for a SH engine plus then i have to have it fitted, around 6hrs labour. Only one wrecker in town that has engines that have been tested and he commands high prices because he can. Everything he sells is twice the price of mainland prices.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have an engine in the donor but condition is unknown and it won't crank nor will it fuel up the rail. NFI where to start with it to get it running. I would need it in the shed to hoick the engine and to get it home will cost $480. Then i need to buy a fuel pump and starter motor before i even look like it going. All i know is it's not seized.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
700 bucks for a SH engine plus then i have to have it fitted, around 6hrs labour. Only one wrecker in town that has engines that have been tested and he commands high prices because he can. Everything he sells is twice the price of mainland prices.
What is the price of a motor from interstate, then shipped to your place, where you would fit it?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
What is the price of a motor from interstate, then shipped to your place, where you would fit it?
I'd have to look into the cost of freight but engines already tested and removed, from say Melb would be in the $450 vicinity at a guess. Freight would be hard to say since it would be a pallet, at a guess $200 or more for shipping to Launceston. I looked at getting my bike shipped from Adelaide and was quoted $1200 as long as it was ready in a crate that I organise. UPulliit could probably buy an engine for 300 bucks but i would have to pay to have it removed.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
TBH the cheapest way out is fitting a new chain kit, providing the chain is fucked. Looking on old JC threads most people were changing chains in their VPs and VRs at around 150 -200k. Heads don't seem to be a common issue with later Buick V6s. So guessing chances are the valves and cam bearings are ok. Talking to the RACT mechanic the cam bearing issues were not common on late Buicks. Its not a big job to replace chain and sprockets. I already have the gasket kit on its way. The upgrade single row chain kit is $160 plus fitting of 4hrs max. If i have this done i can have the balance shaft disconnected which will fix the engine rattle i have had forever, just that it was less pronounced before the new rockers went in.
Although the two mechanics who did listen were not able to tell me for sure what the issue is, they both said it kinda sounds like a timing chain.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
The worst case scenario is i pay two hours labour to have the timing cover removed only to find the chain checks out ok. That being the case i will have to pay another 2.5hrs and have the engine removed and another 3.5hrs to have a SH dropped in.
If my shed was close to Town I would probably do the job myself but its 2hrs away and it becomes too hard to get out there and then start the job, only to find out you need parts or tools but struggle to get into Town to pick them up. Plus I need time off work and would not want to be stuck out woop, woop without transport for a week.
When i sell up my country home i will build a shed in Town but until then I have to do the best i can, which is not always the cheapest option.

Last edited: