Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine rattle on down rev

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'll just add i appreciate all the help so far EYY and Delco. It has taught me how to properly check preload and the correct way to fit the new rockers.
Unfortunately and not having a go at Mace but the instructions they provided are not adequate. There are a lot more things to fitting them than simply unbolting and rebolting the new ones on, and cranking the bolts down to 23 pound, which is how the instructions say to do the job.
Thinking from what Delco said i might just leave the hole that is a bit close and clamp down the rocker and hand it over to the mech next week to have oil pressure checked and timing chain checked out. I'd like to file it out but the filings will end up through the engine potentially. It does sound like the gap increases once the engine is running. So i am guessing this is not causing the rattle. Like i said with the cover off i could see the rockers and rods all moving freely and not out of line. Decent amount of oil down the side of the block and on the extractors as i did allow the engine to run for 15 mins to come right up to rattling temp. i now need to clean up but that's easy enough.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
Have you tried putting a long handle screw driver on different places on the engine and stick your ear on the handle to see if you can pin point where the noise is coming from, the last time I heard a rattle like that in your video it turned out to be the alternator, mechanic's said possible timing chain or cam bearings failure go figure.

Utel67

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs s3 ute
I have fitted plenty of mace's rocker's to ecotecs and l67 engines and I have never had any issues.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have you tried putting a long handle screw driver on different places on the engine and stick your ear on the handle to see if you can pin point where the noise is coming from, the last time I heard a rattle like that in your video it turned out to be the alternator, mechanic's said possible timing chain or cam bearings failure go figure.
No, did think about it. Its coming from under the manifold or under the timing cover. With the rocker cover off and engine running the noise is internal, i know this for sure. I run the engine without the belt and the noise was still there.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I have fitted plenty of mace's rocker's to ecotecs and l67 engines and I have never had any issues.
And this is why i think that its not an issue with the work i did, here's hoping anyway, but won't know for at least a week.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I know people have said that if it wasn't rattling before then the issue is with the install. Which yes i agree it would seem that way. But my only thought is that the new rockers have exacerbated an existing problem.
Like i said the one bloke in Launceston who could tell me what the problem is by having a 2min listen won't look at it. Only chance i have of getting him to check it out is book it in and have him carry out the repairs. But labour is exi with him and he insists on supplying parts, which if it is a chain issue will double the cost.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Two more questions, can anyone tell me the size head on the crank bolt? I need to head home tomorrow if i can hook a ride, to grab some tools and it would be good to grab one socket and spanner rather than 5 or 6 of each, just so i have the right one. With everything else i will have in my backpack i will be pretty loaded up.
Also is it worth my while chucking in a bottle of lifter free up, or is this just a waste at this stage?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
All the lifters are under the manifold.if it has very low preload when the engine heats up and expands it will have even less preload by maybe 12 to 14 thou .vr are bad for spinning the middle cam bearings too .it could be so many things the tensioner for the chain can lose its rubbing block and rattle at certain rpms . if you put the stock rockers back on and the noise goes away you can eliminate most things.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
X2. Stock rockers back on and see if it stops. Remove each pushrod when you do it yo see if there are any shiny parts where they may have been rubbing.

Spend more time on diagnosis before throwing money at it

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Appreciate the ideas EYY and Delco but TBH it's now doing my head in and i need someone else to figure it out.
I am working longer hours now and am happy to pay someone a couple of 100 to diagnose it for me. There comes a point on cars that i realise its beyond my skills and patience. It just gets me down if i am getting no where, especially when i was all excited about the extra HP. You blokes have a 100x more skill than me. I've had enough the initial excitement has gone. The more i think about it the more it gets me down.
The job was supposed to be easy and straight forward, even for an average skill level person like myself, but it wasn't. Time to employ someone who knows what they are doing and figure out where I went wrong.

Last edited: