Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine rebuild or crate engine?

murphy77

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
Hey guys. Just been told my ve ss needs one of the two. Only done bout 80kms 320rwkw or so. Was wondering what people's thoughts were? I've been told by my tuner that roughly 10k for a crate engine supply n fitted. 'Roughly'..

Does any1 know the costs of a rebuild? I've had a bit of a look but can't see much..

Anyway appreciate the help

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
As the engine has only 'done 80kms' I suggest that the matter will be out of your hands and decided by Holden. They will opt for the cheapest outcome and install crate engine. Nothing wrong with that - brand new engine - full warranty etc.

murphy77

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
As the engine has only 'done 80kms' I suggest that the matter will be out of your hands and decided by Holden. They will opt for the cheapest outcome and install crate engine. Nothing wrong with that - brand new engine - full warranty etc.

Sorry 80 000kms. Not under warranty due to mods etc..

Thanks

phat_6ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS M6
I just had my oil pressure release valve stuck open which lead to me having the exact same decision as you, rebuild or crate?

I went with:

Block cleaned, decked and honed
New crank (stock)
Forged Pistons
Forged Rods
Rings
Bearings
Lifters
Pushrods
New cam
Heads serviced
Labour and tuning.

Cost around the 11-12k mark. At the end of the day I know what my engine has got in it and it comes with warranty too. It comes down to preference and cash I guess

murphy77

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
I just had my oil pressure release valve stuck open which lead to me having the exact same decision as you, rebuild or crate?

I went with:

Block cleaned, decked and honed
New crank (stock)
Forged Pistons
Forged Rods
Rings
Bearings
Lifters
Pushrods
New cam
Heads serviced
Labour and tuning.

Cost around the 11-12k mark. At the end of the day I know what my engine has got in it and it comes with warranty too. It comes down to preference and cash I guess

I have most of that stuff all ready done, what caused my issue I'm unsure yet as I'm still deciding wether to take it apart and rebuild or just run a crate engine. I'm leaning towards a rebuild to save some $.. How is your car running now? Pros? Any cons?
Thanks

phat_6ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS M6
What exactly did yours have done?

I pick the car up on Wednesday, fingers crossed there are no issues. Lol..

murphy77

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
What exactly did yours have done?

I pick the car up on Wednesday, fingers crossed there are no issues. Lol..

I've lost receipts, and some of the work was done by previous owner. I no cam heads were done the rest is on receipts. Good thing getting lifters done, with that work your car should run extremely well!

This decision is frustrating

phat_6ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS M6
Oh man that sucks.. I went the rebuild cause I'm throwing some nos up it, something you might take into consideration if later down the track you decide to add some power via boost or something

murphy77

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve ss
Oh man that sucks.. I went the rebuild cause I'm throwing some nos up it, something you might take into consideration if later down the track you decide to add some power via boost or something

Worth the thought, thanks for your input m8

Let us no how your engine runs

phat_6ltr

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE SS M6
No worries mate, yeah will do. I'll be posting results as soon as I get them in my thread :)