Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine rebuild questions

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
so i got an offer for the ACL standard rebuild kit and a turbo kit which is atlittle more in cost but im thinking if u use a decomp plate with the stadard kit for my turbo? or would the turbo kit plus the decomp plate be a better choice???

alongside with a 3 core radiator plus gktech intercooler

VT V6 Injectors and upgraded rail.. would i have to get the standard ecu reprogramed to suit the injectors?

as i guess a turbo ecu would have to be the same?

but i have nistune in mine for another upgrade to the ecu to go with the standard ecu.. so either way i would have to get it tuned to suit the injectors? or just plug and play?

for fuel pump wise, any parts i should add to my list???

silly question...does a diff type have anything to do with the way the ecu should be setup??
Cheeers ALLLL :drink:

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
so i got an offer for the ACL standard rebuild kit and a turbo kit which is atlittle more in cost but im thinking if u use a decomp plate with the stadard kit for my turbo? or would the turbo kit plus the decomp plate be a better choice???

Either the standard kit with a decomp plate or just the vlt rebuild mate, I'd strongly recommend avoiding the decomp plate. I've never liked them but some people will swear by them.

VT V6 Injectors and upgraded rail.. would i have to get the standard ecu reprogramed to suit the injectors?

Doubting these will work without a different ECU, stick to standard VLT injectors.

as i guess a turbo ecu would have to be the same?
Same as? If you're running the vlt setup you'll need the vlt ecu, or an aftermarket ecu.

don't think they'd work straight up though.

for fuel pump wise, any parts i should add to my list???

Lots of random parts, VLT fuel pump would be fine, or maybe just a Bosche internal pump that flows decent numbers, you wouldn't really need much if you're just sticking with standard. Brakes? Gearbox?

silly question...does a diff type have anything to do with the way the ecu should be setup??

No difference at all.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Either the standard kit with a decomp plate or just the vlt rebuild mate, I'd strongly recommend avoiding the decomp plate. I've never liked them but some people will swear by them.

Doubting these will work without a different ECU, stick to standard VLT injectors.

Same as? If you're running the vlt setup you'll need the vlt ecu, or an aftermarket ecu.

don't think they'd work straight up though.

Lots of random parts, VLT fuel pump would be fine, or maybe just a Bosche internal pump that flows decent numbers, you wouldn't really need much if you're just sticking with standard. Brakes? Gearbox?

No difference at all.

Thanks for answering my question mate, yeah i get teh turbo injectors fur sure, vt's only cost my 20 bucks years ago, just something i had in my shed ;)

I'll chase down the turbo rebuild kit, sounds like the way to go :thumbsup:

Standard box and brakes for now, thought im upgrading the brakes in he future :whistling

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Auto box or manual box? I've been using the manual box behind my engine now for a year - to be honest it's lasted better then I expected. I've been quite vigerous with my driving from time to time and although it hasn't copped any crazy gear changes and the like, it still does get a hammering. Apart from it sounding like it's about to explode and huge amounts of bearing noise, hard to get into gears sometimes, it's actually survived pretty well.

The auto should be okay as well and you can always get a transmission cooler which will give it a bit more life.

I had drums/ with non turbo brakes on my old maroon car, to be honest I didn't notice the difference much, but the better brakes definitely won't go astray in any case.

The way I see it as far as the rebuild goes, if you're forking out money for any type of rebuild, you may as well at the bare minimum get a vlt standard build.
My original plan was to just convert the engine to turbo, bolt the bits on and use a high comp setup, only to have a second engine getting built that was serious if I was to ever change over to something really good.

slugsh6

Reaction score
Members Ride
vl calais
the na turbo ecu will run the turbo untill around 7psi boost then cut

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
the na turbo ecu will run the turbo untill around 7psi boost then cut
na turbo ecu wow thats a new comp, how do they work?? flick a switch for turbo mode and flick it again for na

na ecu will run past 7psi but the injector cycle wil be too lean for safely running the motor

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
I'm just going to run it at 7psi until i upgrade the injectors, probley get a turbo ecu or something "nistune" at the sametime. :)

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
problem is if your wastegate is leaking it can allow the boost to spike higher then what its set at
so you might hit 10psi + for a few seconds and it eventually come back down

something you want to be careful with as you gamberling on the fact it will hold 7psi and no go up where it will lean out

just wait that little longer before you put the turbo on and get the injectors and a comp
cheaper then rebuilding a motor or less effort then swapping the engines

the factory manifold bolts are fun to get on...........not:thumbsup:

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
problem is if your wastegate is leaking it can allow the boost to spike higher then what its set at
so you might hit 10psi + for a few seconds and it eventually come back down

something you want to be careful with as you gamberling on the fact it will hold 7psi and no go up where it will lean out

just wait that little longer before you put the turbo on and get the injectors and a comp
cheaper then rebuilding a motor or less effort then swapping the engines

the factory manifold bolts are fun to get on...........not:thumbsup:

Thanks for the tips mate, ill ride with that plan :thumbsup: