Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Rebuild Recommendations (Melbourne)

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
My dear old VN V6 has finally gotten to the magical 300,000km mark, and has decided that enough is enough. :cry:

The oil leaks are now too many to count or keep up with (using really thick oil too), the cooling system let go, the p/s pump is making strange noises and there's a strange rattle from the lower drivers side of the block.

Given that it's a manual and is top fun to drive, I don't want to part with it if I can get it rebuilt. I want it to be a drive-in/drive-out rebuild as I can't pull the engine myself.

I don't have the time or tools to do it myself, so here's what I need advice on:

Where have you had your engine rebuilt in Melbourne?
What did it cost you?
How long did it take?
Would you recommend them?

P.S.: Would prefer Eastern Suburbs workshops if possible

Last edited:

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
how much do you love your car?

just get a less km motor from another vn/vp and put it in.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Mouce if you want a decent well price engine recoer i recommend Dandy enginesin carrum downs may be a little far from you but they do qaulity work. I actually work at an engine reconditioner but send my business and mates to them because i know they do stuff properly.
They are well price on machining cheaper than what my work would do it for with a Supposed "staff discount". Another option is dandy rebores vn luke got his done there and was happy with they're work

mouce

Physics Geek
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Series 1 Executive Sedan
How much do I love my car? It's my first car, I've just spent $2000 on suspension gear (6 months ago it copped a full Whiteline suspension front to back), I've had it for 6 years and it's a series 1 motor so it has lots of balls.

I have thought about an engine swap, but I've got a seriously OLD VN (it was actually a pre-release demo) so I'd like to keep the numbers matching.

@Pub24/7: Thanks for that, I'll get in touch with them, I'm looking to get a few quotes just so I can shop around. But the fact that you work for an engine reco place and send your mates elsewhere says HEAPS.

So that's one place I need to get in touch with. And Carrum Downs isn't too far to go :thumbsup: Hell...if there is a really good one in the Western Suburbs I'm willing to get over there. I love my car and want a good job done for a reasonable price.

I'm not chasing extra power, just extra years out of a car that still manages to out-run most other vehicles to the speed limit. :w00t:

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Heres a basic rundown of machining cost from dandy engines
Bore & hone $165- 25 per cylinder + gst
Deck was about $90 if i remember correctly
Crank Grind was $180
Full balance if you want it is $240 odd
these are about what i got quoted a couple of months ago for a mates v6. Note theres no heads in that or parts. Basically give you an estimate to go off. I suggest you ring them and work out what they can do for you. If you after parts i may consider helping you out i can get you a good deal on a race series rebuild kit if you interested pm me when the time comes around