Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] Engine Rebuild

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
yer should be decent once cooled and up the boost say like 25psi :D

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
Trust me its got 600 Nm of torque, at half throttle I loose traction with 255 tyres on the rear :) (being a tyre fitter has its benifits)
25psi would be deadly lol

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
10psi and my compression ratio is 8.2:1

Just wait till I raise it up to 16psi I should be running low 13's high 12's

And the rest lol. Cool it and you should be in the low 12s with only 12-14psi i the manifold.

Sorry to take it so off track to the OP but what work have you done on the M90? Or is it an aftermarket charger?

MaN|aC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 4.2 S/C
its a Raptor supercharger

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Overrated...??? it all adds up at the end KW wise.. H beam Conrods etc etc.. Yes expensive but strong...

Yeah i know they are not cheap... Im in the same boat.. i have a VY 03 ECOTEC MANUAL UTE and its now done 152,000km and im starting to upgrade/replace as things go..
Just did my Excedy clutch last month check my build thread.
How many Kms and what model is you holden mate ????
So really you only have 2K to spend on the rebuild ???
You have H beams conrods????

I havent decided if i want to supercharge or not / stroker it or keep it at a 3.8lt still trying to decide that one..
Was looking at rebuilding my engine to last lifetime too. ARP top notch product.

RIK......

I have a VX 2001 Berlina with L36, just done 210,000km. I have 5k to spend all up, I'm pretty sure that having a stroker kit installed would up the labour cost substacially than just a normal build.

I would consider a different piston to ACL. I've heard of a few cases where the piston exceeds the deck height thus reducing squish.

However if you are getting the engine balanced the pistons should be able to be machined down and weight matched.

Diamond pistons are hot forged powder metal and with some L67 Diamond pistons to get the correct install height should do the trick very very nicely.

INTENSE-Racing.com: 3800 - Hardcore Engine

Really?? I have heard that ACL Race gear is some good stuff, every factory has a few bad eggs. Theres no way I'm paying over $1000 for some forged pistons for a N/A motor. Why would I need them?? Also then I would have to buy new conrods, ain't cheap.

get your balance shaft removed and block up the oil feed to it. there is lots of oil system mods that can be done to help it last, mine just about finished being built get it back sunday.

Is this recommended, I'm always under the impression that Holden put it there for a reason. This is my daily drive so I don't want any annoying vibrations just because the rebuiler didn't do an absolute perfect job balancing.
As for the oil system, MACE told me that a bit of work can be done on the oil ports, a bit of enlargening and smoothing.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Would a new Powerbond Balancer or new valve guides be recommended?

VSIIBerlinaL67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
well you say you are getting a double row chain. to fit that you need to disconnect the drive to the balance shaft so it will be sitting there doing nothing anyway and oil will be flowing threw the bearing for nothing so just take it out block up the hole and the oil can be used to for important things.

alot of work can be done to the oil system removing restrictions and increasing flow. just need a builder that knows what there doing.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
well you say you are getting a double row chain. to fit that you need to disconnect the drive to the balance shaft so it will be sitting there doing nothing anyway and oil will be flowing threw the bearing for nothing so just take it out block up the hole and the oil can be used to for important things.

alot of work can be done to the oil system removing restrictions and increasing flow. just need a builder that knows what there doing.

Oh well you learn something new every day. Yeah I'll talk to the rebuilder see what he thinks.

Damn I just thought that I never spoke to him about balancing. Doing that Monday.

johnvtls1

Reaction score
Members Ride
E92 BWM 335I
I had a VZ V8 with a mafless tune beat me down the quarter by .139

He's on the left im on the right, I kicked his arse off the line :)
IMG_0467.jpg

ur times ar slow cos u have a fairly average 60ft time. more power isnt gonna make u that much quicker. have you got diff gears and a stall convertor? and are u running slicks? some 3.9's or 4.11's, a 4000+rpm stall and slicks and the thing will go a lot better. you maybe be able to run low 13's with those mods alone.

taztassio

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S L67
try a prostroke crank if going for a stroker. these engines arent worth a rebuild for such minor gains.

especially when a 2nd hand ecotec is $700