Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Rebuild...

VN Lukey

BT1, the way to go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VN S1
Hey guys.. just wondering.. my car has 238,000 on the clock and i had just thought about it.. when should the engines on a VN be rebuilt.. after 300,000? 350,000? I'm not sure, and with a full rebuild what has to be replaced changed?

any help would be appreciated.. thanks...

vn calais manual

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn calais, vs clubsport #137
when it goes bang :), they last for a long time depending what you want from them.

if you were to rebuild it, ud want new pistons, rings, conrod bearings, all new gaskets, timing chain and tensoiner, new lifters, and thats probably about all i can think of atm (probably forgot a few things)

scouser king

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
lukey what the engine like?Becaues if works theres no piont my mates vn is around 372,000 and its fine but i got my engine rebuilt after 260,000 when a head blow.

anarklov3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 WM Caprice
Is it very difficult to rebuild an engine?
Ive thought of doing it a few times to a junker buick engine, just so i can learn.
I assume it takes alot of time, but id have all the time in the world to do it!

How much would the parts/gaskets for a rebuild cost?

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
You'd probably look at about a grand all up in parts, depending on what sort of prices you pay.

It's not very hard - just get a good instruction manual, and some high quality tools :) Any questions you have along the way can be answered by anyone on these forums!

madsav

Reaction score
Members Ride
your ass
You'd probably look at about a grand all up in parts, depending on what sort of prices you pay.

It's not very hard - just get a good instruction manual, and some high quality tools :) Any questions you have along the way can be answered by anyone on these forums!

what he said :)

cracker

Reaction score
a grand blows out very fast, it will cost more then a grand.

VN Lukey

BT1, the way to go
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VN S1
hey guys thanks for the replies .. i was on the net to see if it was worth rebuilding or just getting a new 6... check this out Home Page there should be a 200kw long engine that will suit a VN... just looking but what would u guys recon... i have no intentions of getting rid of my car soo... i could also charge something like this later on...

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
My vn has had oil changes every 5000km's and its on 206,000 and no rattle,no smoke,no losing oil or anything touch wood ..

only things that really go on looked after engines are waterpumps,inlet manifold gasket,timing cover gasket, harmonic balancers.

even if engines on 300,000kms+ can still be good ..

I can spend $2000 on reco engine with warranty fitted ... or I can spend money on getting gaskets and minor stuff fixed on an engine thats original from factory which is better than a reco engine and is still going strong after 20 years ..

if your engines got such low km;s then get the minor things fixed ...

I have seen friends run out of water and overfill oil on their engines cause they stupid and engines still go hard ...

dont think about a reco or rebuild until you blow a headgasket or bearing which will be hard to do with these engines if looked after ...

I was told head gaskets are very rare to go on vn-vp engines even when over heated ..

aussieghostrider

Reaction score
My vn has had oil changes every 5000km's and its on 206,000 and no rattle,no smoke,no losing oil or anything touch wood ..

only things that really go on looked after engines are waterpumps,inlet manifold gasket,timing cover gasket, harmonic balancers.

even if engines on 300,000kms+ can still be good ..

I can spend $2000 on reco engine with warranty fitted ... or I can spend money on getting gaskets and minor stuff fixed on an engine thats original from factory which is better than a reco engine and is still going strong after 20 years ..

if your engines got such low km;s then get the minor things fixed ...

I have seen friends run out of water and overfill oil on their engines cause they stupid and engines still go hard ...

dont think about a reco or rebuild until you blow a headgasket or bearing which will be hard to do with these engines if looked after ...

I was told head gaskets are very rare to go on vn-vp engines even when over heated ..