Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine replacement/rebuild. Need help.

NZsmoka

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Commodore Executive
My 3.8 ecotec spun a bearing the other day on start up. And i am unsure if i want to rebuild this current engine or just buy a 2nd hand one. Or even to buy another type of engine all together.

Im wondering what the cheapest option is, as i do want much more power out of my engine. And if i was to do a rebuild, are the Buick 3.8's expensive to work (E.g ACL race bearings, titanium valves..)

And would it be better to buy an already supercharged engine over a a non-supercharged that i will supercharge myself.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
As a general rule simply buying a 2nd hand motor is going to be far cheaper in terms of keeping your car on the road. I bought a used VR motor for my VP for $125 privately and it is still running happily some years and kilometres later. But I know NOTHING about performance mods or supercharging so can give you no advice about that at all..........

sleepa

Shiny...
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SS Sportwagon, Audi A4, Combo work hack
I would assume a supercharged engine would be cheaper then supercharging a normal engine. Of course you still need the ecu, etc.
Might be a good step up from the ecotec.

Or you could find a V8, just a little more effort.

Most expensive would probably be to rebuild your engine.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Unfortunately here in NZ people seem to want a premium for a 2nd had L67 engine.

Might be best to just get another ecotec engine and then at least you're back on the road again.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Cheapest is to get a second hand donk and drop that in. No reason why U can't then do a little research into good performance mods/parts and rebuild ur original donk. It'll allow U to get back on the road quicker and U can go as sedate or as mental as U want with ur original and drop that in when ready.