Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine replacement

TPB#76

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 vz v6 commodore
Hey guys I’ve had bad news as I thought I had an issue with my engine in the new car that I just got so I had something to drive as soon as I got my license back from court after more than 3&1/2 years. Well I got my license back and went to get my car to find out that I actually need to replace the engine as it had no compression in cylinder 5, found that out after reprogramming a new computer! I’m just wondering what type of engine I need to be compatible with my 2006 vz v6 wagon? Also as I think they seem to be hard to come across, what would be a good price to pay and can I check anything while it’s on a pallet to see if it’s any good? I’m assuming that you’re only going to find out it’s condition after it’s fitted and you have to basically just hope for the best! I think I’m just going to wait till the local wrecker can find a decent one, or anyone as long as it’s in good running order so I’ve got some sort of warranty on it plus the mechanic will have a good business relationship with the wrecker and they won’t want to sacrifice it by selling a poor engine. I’ve found this mechanic to be some what honest compared to many others in the area! Anyway if someone can tell me what type of engine exactly I need it would be much appreciated. I know it’s an Leo v6 but I’m not sure what other things you need to be compatible? Last thing I want is to get the wrong one! I’ve alrea been stiffed on this one! Thanks for your time and help.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Check on your compliance plate to what engine is currently installed, then search for the exact same engine,
That also depends you location in Victoria for availability on a engine.
If you get one from a reputable wrecker, they have to give you a warranty, usually 90 days,
it will be either a LEO, or a LY7 for those models, however you have indicated it’s a LEO,
If you do find one, set it up so it’s going to last,
the first things to be done would be chains and oil pump regardless of its current condition,
When you remove the old one,
Remove your existing sensors and install them on the replacement motor, because they are matched to you ECU,
Then fit the replacement motor, then replace the oil and filter,
and that should keep you motoring along for some time.
They are not hard to replace, just time consuming, and always best to be done with 2 people,
And don’t forget to let Vicroads know of an engine swap, as they need to be notified.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Well. What a topic. One thing is for sure, don’t get it from Southport Wreckers on the Gold Coast.

TPB#76

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 vz v6 commodore
Check on your compliance plate to what engine is currently installed, then search for the exact same engine,
That also depends you location in Victoria for availability on a engine.
If you get one from a reputable wrecker, they have to give you a warranty, usually 90 days,
it will be either a LEO, or a LY7 for those models, however you have indicated it’s a LEO,
If you do find one, set it up so it’s going to last,
the first things to be done would be chains and oil pump regardless of its current condition,
When you remove the old one,
Remove your existing sensors and install them on the replacement motor, because they are matched to you ECU,
Then fit the replacement motor, then replace the oil and filter,
and that should keep you motoring along for some time.
They are not hard to replace, just time consuming, and always best to be done with 2 people,
And don’t forget to let Vicroads know of an engine swap, as they need to be notified.
Thanks for your help. What do you think it would roughly cost to get the chains done? I’m assuming you’re talking about the timing chain? I know it’s best to get it done at a certain time and as it’s going to be out it’s obviously going to be the best time to do anything! He’s going to be replacing all the oil and coolant anyway! Thanks again for your help

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well. What a topic. One thing is for sure, don’t get it from Southport Wreckers on the Gold Coast.

I Second That !!!

They would sell horse poo to their mothers,
I purchased an Alternater for a Mazda 3,
It looked like it had been used as a boat anchor.
And they claimed it looked as good as new !
Yes they were correct, New Boat Anchor.

Last edited:

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for your help. What do you think it would roughly cost to get the chains done? I’m assuming you’re talking about the timing chain? I know it’s best to get it done at a certain time and as it’s going to be out it’s obviously going to be the best time to do anything! He’s going to be replacing all the oil and coolant anyway! Thanks again for your help

Timing Chain kit approx $150
Timing Case seals approx $60
Cam Cover Gasket Kit approx $50
Oil Pump approx $60
Water Pump approx $60
+ Your mechanic Labour.

To do this amount of work on a s/hand motor, you need to be sure it’s a healthy motor.

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
Chain kit for 150 dreaming

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
Chain kit for 150 dreaming

I know I wasn’t,
as I got mine for $136 inc postage,
(as per attachment)
But the seller has since put them up to $180,
There are some kits out there for approx $150
Maybe ask for proof/evidence and do your research first, by typing “LY7 Timing Chains” into eBay, instead of making rational comments.

Attachments

• 29009A71-8257-4F0A-9B90-20EE8E2053F4.jpeg
    29009A71-8257-4F0A-9B90-20EE8E2053F4.jpeg
    113.8 KB · Views: 103
Last edited: