Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Replacement

eh2o

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
Im looking at options for an engine replacement of my 94VR (my current engine is tired and worn)

where would i start looking,

should i
A) Find a low KM 2nd Hand replacement?
B) Find a Reco Motor?
C) Create Motor?

what other options do i have....

What Price would i be looking at?
would it be a simple swap?
Where woulb be the best place to look around brissy.. any help would be great

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
For under $1000 fitted there is only one choice: second hand
A reco motor fitted and you're looking at $2000 minimum...prob closer to $3000
To create a motor ....$4000 and upwards ...no upper limit.
Remember you can buy a good VR for $3 to 4000 in Brissy and get maybe $2500 for the old one (with a RWC). Thats private not thru dealers.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
How much do you want to spend? On ebay there's an online store which runs out of the Holden dealer from Ballarat, Victoria. They have a brand new crate v6 ecotec for $4100. Here it is http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-HOLDEN-C...651495QQihZ002QQcategoryZ102358QQcmdZViewItem

Your choice really depends on how long you want to keep the car for. If it's your pride and joy and want to keep it for a few more years then get the current engine reco'd. If you just want to do it up to sell it then a second hand engine. Personally I'd never touch a second hand one. My fiance had one put in her Pulsar Reebok and went from the zippiest, gutsiet runabout to the biggest hunk of junk. Plus most second hand engines only come with a 90 day or 3 month warranty at most and good luck trying to get the seller to honour the warranty.

TheJack

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim 3.8
Same Here! I need a new V6

Yea, I brought an acclaim wagon from Car City and have lost all confidence in it (and the dealer but thats a long story).

Now I'm faced with deciding to spend heaps to put a new engine in or just buy a whole new car and trade in and loose a $1000 or so in the process.

Mines on lpg and Ive heard i'll be waiting ages for any engine upgrade on lpg at the moment.

Anyone got any suggestions? I'm in melbourne

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
Scooter79 said:
How much do you want to spend? On ebay there's an online store which runs out of the Holden dealer from Ballarat, Victoria. They have a brand new crate v6 ecotec for $4100. Here it is http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-HOLDEN-C...651495QQihZ002QQcategoryZ102358QQcmdZViewItem

yeah that's ballarat holden's surplus stock, go by the name of WASP now.

I'd avoid a reco or s/h unless your looking to get rid of it. rebuild with ACL rebuild kit, stage 2 cam yadda yada yadda and it'll be hunting v8's for a bit over 4k, or talk to COME about a stroker engine or boostable stroker, and you'll kill anything with wheels, but don't expect change from 20k all up

TheForgotten

only human......
Reaction score
Website
www.holdenscene.com
Members Ride
VR EXEC
TheJack said:
Yea, I brought an acclaim wagon from Car City and have lost all confidence in it (and the dealer but thats a long story).

Now I'm faced with deciding to spend heaps to put a new engine in or just buy a whole new car and trade in and loose a $1000 or so in the process.

Mines on lpg and Ive heard i'll be waiting ages for any engine upgrade on lpg at the moment.

Anyone got any suggestions? I'm in melbourne
well do you want an engine that shames most or a cheap daily hack? not too hard a decision in my eyes

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
If you're only going to lose $1000 on buying another car than that would be the way to go unless you want more power...though as your current car is a wagon and on gas, its not power you are after...but if it is then trade to a V8. Otherwise you will be without a car for weeks whilst you do up the wagon.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
TheForgotten said:
well do you want an engine that shames most or a cheap daily hack? not too hard a decision in my eyes

Not all of us have an endless supply of money to spend on our cars. :rolleyes:

eh2o

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
well, im hoping to keep, a littlemore power would be good,who doesn't seek a little extra, like i said, currnt engine in tired and worn..... has any 1 ever delt with a create motor?

can i use my old computer?