Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine revving by itself

lazyc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV 6.0 M6
If I had to hide an extra 1200 odd rpm and not break the speed limit I would have to drop two gears. Just wondering if it thinks the auto has downshifted.

Dozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2004
It definitely does seem to be down shifting when this occurs and the RPMs are excessively high for the speed I'm going.

Could the MAF sensor be the problem? I have a VCM OTR.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
the maf only transfers flow thru it into a number the ecu then uses for fueling, if it altered itself it would only go richer or leaner and couldnt make it rev higher like that, have u checked the pedal ? as the pedal is the only part that can rev up the engine and not cause a code, if anything down the line causes it then its not a demanded response and it will show a code, if its failing causing it to rev up but its like the pedal being pressed then the ecu wont know its a fault (like a throttle controller)

Dozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2004
I was going to try replace the pedal assembly next as it sounds like it could be that.

I just find it strange how it started after the headers and cats got installed but it could be a coincidence if it is the pedal.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
could be the extra heat from the headers/cats on the floor now soaking into the pedal and it may have a small issue that the heat makes worse, if there is a way to test it external to the vehicle u can always see what its like at room temp and then heat it up see if its different

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Could it be a failing torque converter?

Dozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2004
I replaced the accelerator pedal, took it for the same drive and no luck. The problem occurred at the exact time and distance.

I've noticed it always starts when slowing down and going down a hill. I'll have my foot on the brake going down an incline and it will do the acceleration "jab" and then the revs will go right up.

This is a tough one indeed...

The auto seems to be lowering a gear causing the engine to rev up.

Last edited:

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I would suspect it would have to be the accelerator pedal or the ECU i
I replaced the accelerator pedal, took it for the same drive and no luck. The problem occurred at the exact time and distance.

I've noticed it always starts when slowing down and going down a hill. I'll have my foot on the brake going down an incline and it will do the acceleration "jab" and then the revs will go right up.

This is a tough one indeed...

The auto seems to be lowering a gear causing the engine to rev up.

On my VE SV6 the auto box automatically kicks back when it knows your on an extended downhIll run to engine brake. Maybe your car is doing this?

Dozza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 2004
I would suspect it would have to be the accelerator pedal or the ECU i

On my VE SV6 the auto box automatically kicks back when it knows your on an extended downhIll run to engine brake. Maybe your car is doing this?

I tried a new accelerator pedal and it wasn't it.

You mean kick back like a sort of acceleration jab resulting in high RPM? Surely it's not supposed to do it though...

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
I tried a new accelerator pedal and it wasn't it.

You mean kick back like a sort of acceleration jab resulting in high RPM? Surely it's not supposed to do it though...

It kicks back to a lower gear to save your brakes on a long downhill run. The revs increase of course because the car does more engine braking in a lower gear. Used to **** me off coming down the Toowoomba range so I’d flick it to manual mode and select gears on the downhill run. I know how to manage the brakes properly to not overheat them!