Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine rough idle, no spark...help?!??!

zshadow666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
Hi, I have a 1999 stock VT. Recently the car started to sound like a tractor and the engine shakes a fair bit making it undriveable. I have gone through posts on this site and have replaced the leads, spark plugs and coil packs. I have also cleaned the throttle body etc inside and out. (There was a lot of crap in there). Nothing has fixed it so far. I notice that the coil pack 2/5 does not have spark. I have tested all the others and swapped them around but no matter what happens 2/5 coil pack doesn't work/spark. Is there anything else I can try? Any help is appreciated!

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
You can buy the coils seperately or it could be the ingition module underneath the coil pack.From memory around $350 for a genuine GMH module. VS-VY same thing interchangable.Swap coil pack over with one of the others remember which one you swapped and see if 2/5 has spark if not them its Ign/Module ,if it has and the other coil still does not fire then its pointing towards the coil

M

magnumv8

+1 on conrods suggestion-coil pack base plate-my vr has the same problem and this fixed it-Degreasing the engine caused the problem-bought the coils and plate from wreckers for $50.

zshadow666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
You can buy the coils seperately or it could be the ingition module underneath the coil pack.From memory around $350 for a genuine GMH module. VS-VY same thing interchangable.Swap coil pack over with one of the others remember which one you swapped and see if 2/5 has spark if not them its Ign/Module ,if it has and the other coil still does not fire then its pointing towards the coil

Thanks very much, I will give the ignition module a try tomorrow. I tried swapping the coil packs over and it is always the 2/5 with no spark.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Thanks very much, I will give the ignition module a try tomorrow. I tried swapping the coil packs over and it is always the 2/5 with no spark.

It sounds to me like its definitely gonna be a faulty DFI module under the 3 ignition coils.

Last edited:

Danny

Reaction score
Members Ride
Soon to get WL
When u say its always the 2/5 coil do u mean where 2/5 sits or the coil with 2/5 stamped on it always missing when u swap if its that way it's the coil.

zshadow666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
When u say its always the 2/5 coil do u mean where 2/5 sits or the coil with 2/5 stamped on it always missing when u swap if its that way it's the coil.

No sorry, it's always in the same position as where the 2/5 coil sits....as in the centre of the dfi. So not the coil.

zshadow666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt
I went to the wreckers and got the DFI module. $66 with the coil packs as they wouldn't sell it separately. Hooked it all up and happy to report that the car is now fixed. So to everyone on here a big THANK YOU very much. Saved me a lot of money. :)

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Good to hear that mate, its good when a fix is cheap and easy like that.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E