Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine seized

jjj97

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
Just wondering in regards to the harmonic balancer bolt when checking if the engines seized
How much pressure is needed to rotate it normally, couldn't get a breaker bar on there cause I didn't have a 24m but I tried with another socket type thing wouldn't be nearly as much pressure as a breaker bar but I couldn't get it to turn
Does it have to be in gear or doesn't matter?
Car has been sitting for 6 years
Cheers guys

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I can turn my V6 over with a shifter. If it's in gear you will struggle.

jjj97

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
I can turn my V6 over with a shifter. If it's in gear you will struggle.
Ah ok thanks, might be seized idk
Should I wd40 anything or use any lube stuff anywhere before trying again?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Ah ok thanks, might be seized idk
Should I wd40 anything or use any lube stuff anywhere before trying again?
won't be much good if it's been seized. Normally means a strip down, rings and hone if that's happened. I have a Buick engine that's sat for three years and at least six months outside with a bag over it and it's not seized. Just got newspaper in all the holes in the heads and also in the TB.

jjj97

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore ute
won't be much good if it's been seized. Normally means a strip down, rings and hone if that's happened. I have a Buick engine that's sat for three years and at least six months outside with a bag over it and it's not seized. Just got newspaper in all the holes in the heads and also in the TB.
Yeah it'll get ripped out and replaced with a l67 if it's seized but if I can save it I'll be happy haha

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
With correct sized socket & 1/2 drive ratchet should be able to turn it over by hand.

Make sure it's in neutral & try it again...if that don't work pop spark plugs out spray decent amount of wd40 in,pop plugs back in leave it day or two.

Take plugs out then see if you can get it to budge or turn over...it will spray wd40 or whatever junk is in there out.

You're definitely going to learn basic mechanics getting that mofo' running again haha

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Can you push it in neutral, is it manual or Auto, Just thinking outside the box, maybe its your transmission or gear box preventing it been turned.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Had a car once with clutch stuck to flywheel after it sat in garage 12 months untouched...fix was simple lol

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Just wondering in regards to the harmonic balancer bolt when checking if the engines seized
How much pressure is needed to rotate it normally, couldn't get a breaker bar on there cause I didn't have a 24m but I tried with another socket type thing wouldn't be nearly as much pressure as a breaker bar but I couldn't get it to turn
Does it have to be in gear or doesn't matter?
Car has been sitting for 6 years
Cheers guys

why not ask the person who parked the car 6 years ago @ motor damage maybe that,s why it was parked ?

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
why not ask the person who parked the car 6 years ago @ motor damage maybe that,s why it was parked ?

Maybe because the person that parked it was like you....Won't tell the truth, so you have to check it out for yourself to make sure the problem is what you suspect it is....Hence asking on the forum