Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine shaking, check power train light

essveesux

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6 2004
Hey guys,
So about a month ago my vz sv6 2004 was idling weirdly and the engine was shaking which shook the whole car, and the exhaust was sounding like a rotary engine. *wub wub wub wub* . This happened one morning for about 10 seconds. I didn't think much of it so just ignored it.
few weeks later (last week) it happened again except this was after i came off the m4 and parked my car in my garage. It happened for a much longer time untill i turned the car off and started it again, and it was gone. The next day i got it serviced and flushed the oil line and engine through the plenum and all that. Mechanics couldnt think why it was shaking (from my description as it wasn't shaking anymore)

3 days later, i started my car today and went to the shops. leaving the shops i got back in the car and started it up. The engine shaking was back and the "wubbing". This time it didnt go away and a sign came up on my dash "check powertrain"
I sucked it up and very carefully drove it home (down the road) while the engine was shaking the whole way.

Seeing as its a sunday i cant ask my mechanic across the road for help.

If anyone has any idea what it may be? that would be helpful. In case i need to prepare for the worst.

Thankyou.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Sounds like its misfiring. The fact that cycling the ignition cured it indicates it may be an ECU issue rather than plugs, coil packs or injectors as they would generally continue to fault after a restart.

First step would be to get the trouble codes read and go from there.

RogVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 Acclaim
Mine too

Did you get this sorted? If so what was the fix mine is doing the same thing

Roger

jonesyGT

Reaction score
Ive just had similar on my VZ Adventra

2 coil packs, 1 set of plugs, Cylinder 6 valva springs, 1 ECU & $2000 later it seems to be working

Those type of symptoms are usually coil packs on the way out

m1lh0u531

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Crewman
Yeh i had this exact same problem, turned out to be a coil pack.
I had it tested at the holden dealer, he told me it was a coil pack but couldn't tell me which one.
So guess who did trial and error...THIS GUY!!! lmao

RogVZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ V6 Acclaim
on mine it turned out to be the ECU, I had to buy a used one from the wreckers as Holden cant supply a new one till late June.

Thanks for all the help

just checking

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
on mine it turned out to be the ECU, I had to buy a used one from the wreckers as Holden cant supply a new one till late June.

Thanks for all the help

Can you please tell me how much this repair cost?

thevman

Reaction score
Members Ride
94vr 3.8L man ute
Interested to hear any more info. Seen this is a common issue on VZ aloytec

diysv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF S1 SV6 STORM A6: VZ S1 SV6 A5
An ignition coil intermittently recently failed over a long period and it came good, wubbed, (I like that descriptor), shook and came good over a number of starts and days.

I thought that it may have been a fuel injector and investigated them thoroughly. Took about 3 days before the coil settled down as "full time" faulty. Number 2 cylinder - off with the manifold.

It created no dash board warnings and no DTCs.

It is easily detected by disconnecting each coil's power connecter and listening to the idle quality etc. The cylinder with the minimum change to idle when battery power is removed is the likely faulty coil, given the assumption that the injector is good and electrical faults (wiring, ECU etc, earths) do not exist.

Coils vary in price from $30 eBay, to GM Genuine which are over $100 each from memory. I bought after market for about $50, eBay, when I was making my travelling spares kit a few years ago.