Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Shudder At 1500RPM During Climb

kobe_2104

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Hi guys,

I'm new to Just Commodores (kind of) and I've been scouring the forums for an answer to this but they seems so varied. So here's my problem:

For a while now the car has been sending an awful shudder through the car when hitting around 1500-1700RPM when under a little stress (like going up a hill) in 4th gear. I have to drop a gear, stick the foot in and away I go. I've started running V-Power fuel and running with the Power Gear button on which has helped it a fair bit, but it still does happen. The other thing I've noticed is that I am slowly losing oil (drains after about 4-6 months) which seems to be coming out of the exhaust (if the black marks in my garage are any idea)).

A "mechanic" from a tyre fitting place told me it's a catalytic converter, and once one goes, they all start to go so it would cost around $800 to get all of them done (2 or 4??). Screw that, I want to start doing services myself as it seems everytime I give my car to a mechanic, it comes back worse than when I gave it to them (the last one came back with a warped rotor (which will be in a separate post)).

I've never been overly mechanical but want to learn and am keen as punch after watching Discovery Turbo almost 4 hours a day! :yeah:

So does anybody have some thoughts as to what it may be? And if so, where's the best place to get parts (i.e. would Bursons have the parts I need as a family member gets discounts through there).

Thanks all,
Matt

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
For a while now the car has been sending an awful shudder through the car when hitting around 1500-1700RPM when under a little stress (like going up a hill) in 4th gear. I have to drop a gear, stick the foot in and away I go. I've started running V-Power fuel and running with the Power Gear button on which has helped it a fair bit, but it still does happen.

Sounds like a dud coil, lead or spark plug (breaking down under load).

kobe_2104

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Wagon
Sounds like a dud coil, lead or spark plug (breaking down under load).

So what kind of cost are we looking at there? Also, something a very novice mechanic can potentially do at home? It wouldn't be a plug as you'd be getting a constant misfire as opposed to a particular misfire at a certain rev range wouldn't it? I plan to change all the plugs anyway.

Would this also cause bad fuel economy and loss of oil?

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
alloytec has coil/lead combo-cant replace just coil or lead, has the auto been serviced in the last 20,000klm, check the oil in the box, cars do burn some oil, service every 10,000klms, especially alloytecs!
about $60 each, depends where you go, to change plugs/coils etc it can be done without replacing manifold gaskets, plug could be breaking down under load, get vehicle scanned so you can see what the issue is, you may have a pending code,