Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine splutter without spinning the wheels

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Today was dry and warm and for the first time ever when I went to power around a corner the engine gave a little splutter like as if the road was wet and the traction control kicked in.

It's never happened before without the wheels spinning and after this incident I even tried for a recurrence but it wouldn't happen.

In 2 months were off to the Cooley Rocks on Festival in Coolangatta a 3,000 klm trip and I don't want any problems so I'm wondering could this be the start of latter problem and if so any suggestions on what it could be so to replace those parts now and try to prevent issues down the road.

Last edited:

Tree cutter

Tree cutter
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais SuperchargedV6
Possibly an ignition problem like a bad sparkplug , plug lead or coil

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Fuel tank level at the time?

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Good suggestions guys but no, most of the electronics are only 2 years old, recently replaced the spark plugs and the fuel level was at half.
6 years ago I did have an issue with one of the coils which Holden replaced, have no idea which one it was though so maybe I should replace all 3 and also the motorboard.

D

devilly

engine splutter and a corner,i would be putting in injector cleaner,last time fuel filter was changed.

might of had a slight blockage that fixed itself :)

also depends on which way you turned,to what components stretch the wiring loom is all i can think of :)

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
engine splutter and a corner,i would be putting in injector cleaner,last time fuel filter was changed.

might of had a slight blockage that fixed itself :)

also depends on which way you turned,to what components stretch the wiring loom is all i can think of :)

Thanks and I'm off to get the injector cleaner cause its been maybe a year and the fuel filter was replaced 9 months ago but there cheap and ours is now a lot easier to replace.

Hows for a filter story, 6 years ago before I started doing all my own servicing I took it to Ultra Tune for a full service and a week latter were heading down the highway and she gave out a large burp.
Frighting that was, anyway someone said its the fuel filters that blocked and I said it can't be because Ultra Tune had just replaced it.
I get home and decided to take a look at the filter and the lousy buggers hadn't replaced it and inside the fuel was dark brown so I took the filter and invoice back to Ultra Tune who basically refused to believe me so from that day on all my servicing has been done by ourselves.

Update: Just back from Super Cheap and have the Ryco fuel filter and why not a new air filter to, both cheap and a bottle of the Nulon Fuel System cleaner to. The fuel cleaner and the new air filters in now off to walk the dogs.

Update: 06/05/16 - Last weekend we travelled 1600 ks and towing the fold out camper trailer and without a single splutter issue.
I've now changed the air and fuel filter, all coils and the mother board and also the alternator, now to change the belt tensioner and were all ready to Rock N Roll.

Last edited: