Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Squel on Start Up?

Sheriff69

This Town Aint Big Enough
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY S-Pak Ute V6
Hiya Folks,

I'm a 'newie' to this forum but I needed to post this question somewhere as I'm getting mixed responses on what the problem could be, here goes...

My wife drives a Dual Fuel 2002 VY S-Pac Ute, 3.8L Ecotec V6 5 Speed Manual. It's been a great car for her and now 'us'.

Just recently it has started to 'squel' for a couple of seconds just after the engine starts. Once the car has warmed up and you stop the engine, go grab the news paper and a litre of milk from the shops and come back and start it again the engine won't do it! Leave the car for about 3-4 hours and then come back and start it, it will 'squel' again for a couple of seconds.

Now I have changed the Serpentine Belt, Water Pump, Belt Tensioner Pulley and both Idler Pulleys with the 'squel' still present. I then took the Serpentine Belt pysically OFF the engine and started the engine again for it to 'squel' yet again!

What the hell could it be?

By taking the Serpentine Belt off the engine and starting the engine I have isolated the Alternator, Water Pump, Air Con Pump, Power Steering Pump and all Idler Pulley's so it can't be any of them.

That then leaves the Harmonic Balancer, the Starter Motor OR something to do with the LPG system.

Could this 'squel' be coming from either the Starter Motor or the LPG Converter?

I have checked the condition of the Harmonic Balancer and it is in good condition. The outer grooved ring does not slip and the rubber centre isn't showing any signs of cracking or splitting so I'm of the opinion that the Harmonic Balancer is OK.

I'm about to take it to a Motor Mechanic to have the LPG system serviced as it has been over twelve months since it's last service.

I've also purchased two new o2 senses as the car has done almost 170,000km and they appear to be the original ones. According to BOSCH and NTK they should be replaced every 50,000-80,000km. If anyone wants to know I paid around $60 each for x2 NTK o2 Sensors from Auto One in Niddrie,Melbourne. I'll leave it up to the mechanic to decide if they need replacing or not?

Any info would be much appreciated as I'm at a loss as to what the noise could be.

Cheers

PaulSV6

CHE Tuned 156.8rwkw
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6 M6, MY10 VE SV6 Sportswagon & MY03 XC SRI
Have u checked the belt tension, cause ven the slightest looseness can cause this.

Make sure the belt is at the correct tension:thumbsup:

Sheriff69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY S-Pak Ute V6
Thanks PaulSV6 for your comments.

As stated in my post I took the belt completly off the engine and it still squels so it can't be the belt or any 'tensioner' issues.

But 'yes' once the belt is fitted to the engine the belt tensioner is at the correct tension by the belt tensioner markers.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Tiger28

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy Exec
Thanks PaulSV6 for your comments.

As stated in my post I took the belt completly off the engine and it still squels so it can't be the belt or any 'tensioner' issues.

But 'yes' once the belt is fitted to the engine the belt tensioner is at the correct tension by the belt tensioner markers.

Thanks for your help!

Mate I got a vy on lpg with the old system and sometimes when I start it and the car is cold i hear a squel noise to ,but it goes away after a couple of mintues.I reckon its from the lpg system as car did not do it before i put it on lpg 8 weeks ago maybe because the gas is cold.

Sheriff69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY S-Pak Ute V6
Thanks Tiger28 for your comments.

Had the car looked at today by a mechanic (NOT from Holden!) as the gas system hadn't been serviced for over twelve months.

Turns out that after the LPG service was carried out the car continued to 'squel' on start up which according to the mechanic is coming from the starter motor which I have ready to be installed.

I'll place another post tomorrow night once the new starter motor is installed and let everyone know the outcome.

In summary pepole if you think that your car is suffering from 'belt squel' then the simple solution to diagnos whether it's coming from the front of the motor is remove the serpentine belt all together and re start the engine. With the serpentine belt removed you now know that it can't be the alternator, the water pump, the aircon pump or the power steering pump should the 'squel' continue.

If the 'squel' still persists then you now know that it's either the starter motor, the LPG system (if fitted with one) or possibly the Harmonic Balancer that's giving you the 'squel' and NOT those components listed above this paragraph.

Any other feedback is still welcome but this has been my experience to date.

Thanks to everyone who has posted their thoughts!

Last edited:

Sheriff69

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY S-Pak Ute V6
OK, had new starter motor fitted today, at this stage it has stopped the 'squel' - Thank God!

Now for the next problem...

Whilst having the LPG service done I had the o2 sensors replaced given that the car had done 170,000km without them being replaced, seemed a good idea at the time BUT..now the SRS warning light won't go out!

What does the SRS warning light have to do with the new o2 senses you may ask? I have NO idea! I'm now having the car checked by Holden tomorrow to find out what the hell is going on here!

This car is doing me head in! My wife want's to sell it, I want to keep it. It now has the following:

1/ New Radiator
2/ New Water Pump
3/ New Thermostat
4/ New o2 Sensors (x2)
5/ New Starter Motor
6/ New Serpentine Belt
7/ New Belt Tensioner Pulley
8/ New Upper Idler Pulley
9/ New Lower Idler Pulley
10/ New Coolant

AND NOW I'VE GOT AN SRS WARNING LIGHT THAT WON'T GO OUT, AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

It's all good, it's all good - at least the 'squel' has now gone.

SAV_117

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE V8 Calais
mate once everything is brand new it wont need fixing :)

saber

Reaction score
Members Ride
None - At the moment :)
OK, had new starter motor fitted today, at this stage it has stopped the 'squel' - Thank God!

Now for the next problem...

Whilst having the LPG service done I had the o2 sensors replaced given that the car had done 170,000km without them being replaced, seemed a good idea at the time BUT..now the SRS warning light won't go out!

What does the SRS warning light have to do with the new o2 senses you may ask? I have NO idea! I'm now having the car checked by Holden tomorrow to find out what the hell is going on here!

This car is doing me head in! My wife want's to sell it, I want to keep it. It now has the following:

1/ New Radiator
2/ New Water Pump
3/ New Thermostat
4/ New o2 Sensors (x2)
5/ New Starter Motor
6/ New Serpentine Belt
7/ New Belt Tensioner Pulley
8/ New Upper Idler Pulley
9/ New Lower Idler Pulley
10/ New Coolant

AND NOW I'VE GOT AN SRS WARNING LIGHT THAT WON'T GO OUT, AHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

It's all good, it's all good - at least the 'squel' has now gone.

Try disconnecting the battery for half an hour, and see if that fixes the SRS light.

revv_head

I DRIVE A V6 SS :P
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS
LOL. I have an october 2004 S pack. Everything except oil and stuff is original. Original Tires aswell and battery. 100 odd less Ks than yours though.