Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine stall after hours of driving

benji2208

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 series 2 2012
Hey mate, I'm not much help but I've got a VE Series 2 2011 wagon with 160000 on the clock and it's just started doing almost exactly the same thing although mine seems to be only while driving in traffic and starts happening after about 1 hour. When I turn the key just after it happens I get no response at all until I wait about 15 minutes and then it starts no problem and off I go until it happens again in anywhere from 30 seconds to not at all.

Took it to the mechanic he says that he's checked it over and can't diagnose as there are no obvious faults and no error codes.

I was about to start replacing parts as a process of elimination, would start with fuel pump and filter and perhaps relays but your post makes me very doubtful on where to begin.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they found a solution.

Please keep me posted on how you go and i'll do the same.

Cheers
Hey guys, good to see the forum alive and kicking, haven't been here in ages!

Got a real head scratcher here that even Holden hasn't been able to diagnose.

Old man has a VE 2010 3L SIDI with 200,000 on the clock. Never had any notable issues besides usual wear items, regular fluid changes, all the usual stuff of a regular owner.

The car frequently goes on long drives and for the last few months has had an on-going issue that hasn't really gotten worse but has been fairly consistent.

After 4-5 hours of driving (mix highway/city/urban), check engine light goes on right before the engine shuts off, electrics stay on, issue mostly occurs while car is in motion at any speed/rpm. If you try to turn the car back on straight after, it dies again in about 30-60 seconds, if you leave it off for 10 minutes you can usually drive 20~km/30 minutes before it shuts off again. Leaving it off overnight allows you to drive 4-5 hours before problem occurs again.

What's been done/checked since issue started happening
  • Temp gauge is fine before shut off
  • Had a misfire code once (general, not cylinder specific), but since cleared the problem has occurred three times and the code hasn't returned, checked with a Software on ELM reader from Envyous and at Holden.
  • Coil packs changed
  • Fuel pump changed, different fuels used
  • Issue cannot be replicated under any circumstances except for 4+ hours of driving - in an hour of driving have tried keeping in low/high gear while highway driving for 30-40km straight on motorway, uphill/downhill, high revs, aggressive driving, traffic.
What's been done by Holden after a day in the shop
  • All modules scanned
  • All grounds checked
  • Wiring checked
  • Spark plugs reviewed
  • Cylinders inspected
Holdens notes on invoice

Sadly after a day with Holden they are pretty dumbfounded and say they don't really know how to investigate further as they can't replicate the issue and to come back if the issue recurs and pay another $250 to get it looked over.

Any help, ideas, or even a recommended mechanic in Sydney would be greatly appreciated!
Hey mate did you ever end up finding out what was causing the issue?

benji2208

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sv6 series 2 2012
Hey mate, I'm not much help but I've got a VE Series 2 2011 wagon with 160000 on the clock and it's just started doing almost exactly the same thing although mine seems to be only while driving in traffic and starts happening after about 1 hour. When I turn the key just after it happens I get no response at all until I wait about 15 minutes and then it starts no problem and off I go until it happens again in anywhere from 30 seconds to not at all.

Took it to the mechanic he says that he's checked it over and can't diagnose as there are no obvious faults and no error codes.

I was about to start replacing parts as a process of elimination, would start with fuel pump and filter and perhaps relays but your post makes me very doubtful on where to begin.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they found a solution.

Please keep me posted on how you go and i'll do the same.

Cheers
Hey mate did you end up finding out what was causing the issue? Have same problems with mine

Stevebouchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 sportswagon
Hey mate did you end up finding out what was causing the issue? Have same problems with mine
Yeah I did. I'll attach a copy of the report from the Holden dealer who found it.
Was a faulty ECM.
It took them a fair bit of stuffing around to replicate the fault themselves to register it and diagnose.

They replaced the ECM and it's never happened since.

Good luck, let me know how you go!
20240313_212501.jpg