Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine stall after hours of driving

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
door locks start to click and she goes limp and dies
Try locking the car, then unlock car using the fob.
When then the door lock is clicking it sounds like its setting of the immobiliser (which is turning the engine off)?

Give it a try, costs nothing to try. If successful maybe the door lock that is clicking is faulty & needs replacing?

Hast20

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais Ve v6
Try locking the car, then unlock car using the fob.
When then the door lock is clicking it sounds like its setting of the immobiliser (which is turning the engine off)?

Give it a try, costs nothing to try. If successful maybe the door lock that is clicking is faulty & needs replacing?

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
can you confirm your batt light illuminates when you turn to reds before you start engine
the wiring diagrams for ve are a nightmare
it looks like the bcm is the brains of the operation and yours is losing power
next time car stalls, without touching ignition key, check if windows work, if possible and safe, check indicators and wipers as well
the bcm has 4 inputs from the keyswitch, but i thought bcm should always be powered up
my gut is telling me ignition switch, but this is just a guess, it is as if you switched key to accessories whilst you were driving
might be worth finding a safe side street and driving slowly switch ignition to accessories and see if symptoms are the same
this does not explain your door actuators

Hast20

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais Ve v6
only seems to possibly happen in city/heavier traffic, the car spent 6months being driven around country area in cooler months so higher speed, ruffer roads and longer drives, never missed or played up, within 10days of city driving problem return, the old man thinks it has to be more a heat thing, that affects some ecu in sidi around 2010/11? I really appreciate your efforts to help.

lout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXii Executive V6 , VYii Adventra LS1
if it was ecu i would think bcm would log a loss of communication fault, and the cluster not showing the alternator light makes me think it is a whole shutdown rather than one computer failing

axemurderer101

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VY SS
Try giving Injectronics a call
They do ecu repairs
https://injectronics.com.au/register-a-repair/details/electronic-control-module/554

I currently have a customer with a ve equipe 3.0 where it stalls when warm, will be sending them the ecu,bcm,key reader and key to diagnose and repair.

I have repaired about 5 VZ v6's all with no starting ecu faults. Each time the ecu was replaced and fixed the problem.
This is my first encounter with a VE and with the ECU in the same location i wont be surprised if i see more of them fail in the future.

Hast20

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais Ve v6
Thank you , I’ll give them a call Monday.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Try giving Injectronics a call
As a general member of the public Injectronics will tell ole mate to piss off do they now deal with the general public? They have pissed me off many times.

trel

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VXII Equipe Wagon
It will be the ecu on a completely unrelated vehicle, an old V8 Fairlane, was doing this exact thing on a friend's car, changed every part known to man on this thing and in the end it was the ECU giving up.

Keepcooljoey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VE commodore
Hey guys, good to see the forum alive and kicking, haven't been here in ages!

Got a real head scratcher here that even Holden hasn't been able to diagnose.

Old man has a VE 2010 3L SIDI with 200,000 on the clock. Never had any notable issues besides usual wear items, regular fluid changes, all the usual stuff of a regular owner.

The car frequently goes on long drives and for the last few months has had an on-going issue that hasn't really gotten worse but has been fairly consistent.

After 4-5 hours of driving (mix highway/city/urban), check engine light goes on right before the engine shuts off, electrics stay on, issue mostly occurs while car is in motion at any speed/rpm. If you try to turn the car back on straight after, it dies again in about 30-60 seconds, if you leave it off for 10 minutes you can usually drive 20~km/30 minutes before it shuts off again. Leaving it off overnight allows you to drive 4-5 hours before problem occurs again.

What's been done/checked since issue started happening
  • Temp gauge is fine before shut off
  • Had a misfire code once (general, not cylinder specific), but since cleared the problem has occurred three times and the code hasn't returned, checked with a Software on ELM reader from Envyous and at Holden.
  • Coil packs changed
  • Fuel pump changed, different fuels used
  • Issue cannot be replicated under any circumstances except for 4+ hours of driving - in an hour of driving have tried keeping in low/high gear while highway driving for 30-40km straight on motorway, uphill/downhill, high revs, aggressive driving, traffic.
What's been done by Holden after a day in the shop
  • All modules scanned
  • All grounds checked
  • Wiring checked
  • Spark plugs reviewed
  • Cylinders inspected
Holdens notes on invoice

Sadly after a day with Holden they are pretty dumbfounded and say they don't really know how to investigate further as they can't replicate the issue and to come back if the issue recurs and pay another $250 to get it looked over.

Any help, ideas, or even a recommended mechanic in Sydney would be greatly appreciated!
I’m having the exact same issues , was there an update ?