Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine stops, fuel light on, battery light on GOODBYE

scarletx

Reaction score
Members Ride
HOLDEN COMMODORE VX 2002
like 60kms left of petrol left. Whilst cruising along the highway @100km, the car loses all power. The fuel light comes on... the battery light comes on. I flick the hazards and pull over.

I start the car (try to), it TRIES to kick over. Nothing,... thinking fuel pump issue? (this is where I need some ideas... or assistance as filling the car up would clearly not help) as battery is fine checked and it is brand new and it wouldnt try to kick over..

Im in drivers seat whilst passwnger rocks the car incase it was a fuel problem as we just put 10litres in with jerry can IN CASE the thing isnt reading the litrage isnt being read correctly)...so theoretically the car should say 70kms left. Yeah.. not empty
Start the car... the kms til empty shoot from

60 to 38kms... left til empty

Car was serviced 2 weeks ago, new battery put in also.
Last week car breaks down @ 33kms left to empty. Got jerry can, filled about 10 litres into it. Off she goes, no problem.

EVEN if the car was empty and the readings are faulty 10litres should have got it to kick over and go a distance.

any ideas?

Last edited:

dannyn12

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx supercharged
why dont you fill your tank full and when you get down to a quarter of a tank you refill no more running out of fuel

scarletx

Reaction score
Members Ride
HOLDEN COMMODORE VX 2002
because it (todays issue) isnt an empty tank issue..
60kms in a tank is hardly near empty...that is plenty
and clearly filling the tank would not fix todays problem... as petrol DID not help...
SO i could have drowned the car in petrol and it would not have kicked over.

I ran out of petrol on one occasion... this was not a running out of petrol occassion.
So filling it up is irelevant tot he problem

the car didnt "run out of fuel"

HARVZ-6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT spac super6
mate first thing i would do is stick 20bucks of juice in her and see what happens,

running it that low really isnt good for it.. for one you pick up all the s**t from the bottom of the tank, the pump starts running dry and cooks itself

60kms left? is that according to the computer? you cant trust those, when its gettin empty, fill up simple as that

60ks could be anything under 10ls..

my mates vx calais did the same thing, told him 80ks till empty an ran out.. i was sure it was fuel.. wouldn start till we got almost 20litres in it

scarletx

Reaction score
Members Ride
HOLDEN COMMODORE VX 2002
mate first thing i would do is stick 20bucks of juice in her and see what happens,

running it that low really isnt good for it.. for one you pick up all the s**t from the bottom of the tank, the pump starts running dry and cooks itself

60kms left? is that according to the computer? you cant trust those, when its gettin empty, fill up simple as that

60ks could be anything under 10ls..

my mates vx calais did the same thing, told him 80ks till empty an ran out.. i was sure it was fuel.. wouldn start till we got almost 20litres in it

will give it a go, thank you

scarletx

Reaction score
Members Ride
HOLDEN COMMODORE VX 2002
still 60ks isnt much....mayb ur dash is reading wrong....geeze when my fuel reaches halfway i fill up :p i never go below half
will try,
hmm thank you

scarletx

Reaction score
Members Ride
HOLDEN COMMODORE VX 2002
VERDICT: crank angle sensor = wrecked.
thank you all