Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine swap by a rookie.

VLSabo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Metlink Monthly Pass
Hey guys,

I had a bloke that was going to swap an engine and auto into my WK statesman, his been showing very little intrest and lack of communication, ive had the idea i might do the swap myself,

im in need of advice/opinions on whether i should do this,
pretty much need the auto and engine out, and new auto and engine in, then unbolt all the accesories from old engine and put it on the newer. i got all the fluids needed to do this, even bought a transmission service kit for it

this will be my first time id be doing something like this, just wondering if its worth doing it, i can get a engine crane and have a range of tools needed.

any advice/tips or opinions would be greately appreciated

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Well Since you got all the tools already, should make things a bit easier.
I would have no clue really, Esp when it comes to the air compressor, does it need to be degassed or can you just remove and put to the side ?

If and when you do it, take some photos and make a how too, im sure everyone would love to see how its done.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
I have never done anything like an engine swap until recently. I have (well 75% there) converted my V6 VR to a V8. I removed engine and trans together (seemed quite easy) and bought any tools I needed to do so. The new engine is in and now it's just all the little bits left to do but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. Just get in there and give it ago, just make sure you have a box and put everything in it and make sure you don't lose pieces. That's a pain in the a$$, I have lost a few small pieces but nothing to drastic just a few bolts and stuff.

Oh and get some guard protectors, don't want to damage your guards with falling tools and stuff. Worth their weight in gold they are.

VLSabo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Metlink Monthly Pass
NickVR, was it as simple as just taking out all the main fluids, then unbolting all the accessories, and bolts onto the chassis? Tie engine and lift crane up, then put it all back in reverse order?

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
Don't need to unbolt the accessories, just make sure they're all disconnected.

Don't need to drop the fluids either (except the water/coolant), the engine oil ain't goin anywhere and there's a plastic stopper you can buy cheap to put in the back of the gearbox so you don't lose fluid.

nemesis_adrasteia

better to reign in hell
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR commodore HSV(without all the gay ****)
NickVR, was it as simple as just taking out all the main fluids, then unbolting all the accessories, and bolts onto the chassis? Tie engine and lift crane up, then put it all back in reverse order?

thats the basic idea, you will also need to disconnect the exhaust, possibly the tailshft too.

also you will need to remove the bonnet.

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
its fairly easy to change an engine the first one i did i just went by the workshop manual took 1 full day from start to driving with a new motor, its definatley worth doing yourself ive done heaps since then and my cars have never seen a mechanic in over 10 years and saved heaps of cash.if you cant find a plastic stopper just use the tailshaft yoke and cabletie it in so you dont dump all the tranny fluid as you raise the engine and box out and dont forget to disconect the shifter linkages.

Hangman

Aspiring Sociopath
Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Land Yacht
i dont forget to disconect the shifter linkages.

And unplug the reverse light switch

Or is that part of the wiring that plugs in on the drivers side? Which has to be unplugged as well...

I'm used to playing with manuals...

Last edited:

VLSabo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Metlink Monthly Pass
thanks so much for the support guys, i had a similar thread on a different forum and not one reply, im giving it a go tommorow, its raining but i have an empty garage to do this in, thank god.

ill keep you guys up to date with photos and stuff if you really want, thanks again.

kniever

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais L67 & VN II Calais T5 5ltr
just unbolt the air compressor from the engine and zip tie it up where the air box normally is, also the is an electrical plug on the passenger side of the auto that is glued in, you have to get a heat gun or maybe a hair dryer to heat it up to be able to remove that plug