Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Swap Info

JayHunt

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 VE
Want to Swap a VE SV6 stock engine for a 3.8L Supercharged Variant of the older series commodores. If I had a Top of the Range ECU and all associated wiring what problems might I run into? Engine bay space is one thing Ive been thinking about? Would buying the whole commodore that the Supercharged V6 came in be a good idea so I can pull **** off that I need as I go when the VE stuff isnt compatible?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Why an L67? Really pointless and difficult conversion if you want everything to function like it did from factory, will be totally custom wiring for stuff like dash etc... Your choice of ECU also won't change the level of difficulty. None of the VE stuff is compatible, not liking your chances of using VY engine mounts but you can try. L67 is smaller than the Alloytec so no room issues.

Just FYI too the car won't be registerable if you want to put it on the road.

JayHunt

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 VE
Cheap solidly built engine is what Ive heard about em and can run decent HP through em without to many issues. Do the DOT not grant permits for engine swaps?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
For a swap like that into a VE it is extremely poor value per dollar even if it was legal or even easy, you can't get the amount of power I assume you're thinking of without going turbo. Would literally be easier and cheaper going with an LS or even Alloytec if you want a VE - especially if you factor in time spent doing the conversion. Otherwise just buy a VS-VY that already has one and play with that.

A VE will never pass engineering with that engine due to emissions - older emissions generation of engine into much newer car.

Last edited:

JayHunt

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 VE
Maybe if I give you more context you can advise me better. So I have around 11k to buy a car that I wanna use as a daily but I also want something that I can play around with and mess with engine power, ECU extra settings and all that. So I reckon the VE series 1 commodores look beautiful and I noticed you can get an SV6 version with like 250000kms for around 3 grand. that leaves me with 11k roughly. I think Im gonna buy a Adaptronic ECU standalone the top of the range 2000 dollar One that has shitloads of inputs and outputs and can do just about whatever you want with it. Furthermore I heard the stock 3.6 litre SV6 engine is a pretty average engine. has timing chain problems and its just not that good of engine all round. Was looking at engine swaps because at 2500000 KMS the engine is probably due for a rebuild/Swap anyway and may as well upgrade to something better while I am doing it. The LS1 and the V8 engines all seem abit pricey one with like 100000kms are like 4 grand minimum and and that 6L displacement will wreck me in fuel. What would you do if you where in my shoes? Lets say you have bought the SV6 for 3K and now have 7K more in your budget.

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
i would buy a VS/VT and throw lots at it, cant put earlier series engine in a VE Full Stop.
or you get a VE with reasonable klms and throw money at it, dont worry about your fancy controller etc, plenty of programs out there to mod factory computer, HP tuners etc, check out MACE website for ideas etc

Last edited:

timd29

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V S1 International 6.0
Buy a decent ve, do what you can afford now, save, do more, save, do more. That way you will enjoy each step and improvements on your way.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Daily = don't buy car to pull apart or mess around with. Engine swapped cars are generally poor daily drivers, especially one like this with so many electrical complexities.

I think you need to rethink your entire plan completely or get a second car to do what you want. I get it, but I would not be doing this with a daily or starting with swapped engines outside of the same engine family. You should really pick a car with a relatively tunable ECU or good aftermarket ECU support to begin with, something like Nistune, Hondata, ECUTek for Subies and Mitsubishi or something that plugs in etc... Or HPTuners for LS is an obvious one. If you want to learn like this then get some cheap 4 cylinder fwd thing (SR20 pulsar, basic Honda, cheap Lancer - doesn't matter). Then when you're ready to move onto something else you take all your stuff out, minimal outlay. Even for this, the L67 into VE is still a poor choice.

The Adaptronic is an awesome ECU, however they don't make any plugin ECUs for any Holdens. This means totally custom loom to begin with or you have to get one of those weird patch harnesses. On top of this there aren't any aftermarket ECUs that provide support for GM's automatic gearboxes. To remedy this you'd also have to tie in a gearbox controller from the states. Then you have to factor in things like the cold start ability for the ECU, your own tuning ability to make it run correctly (i.e. safe engine operation), any licensing costs for any software from your ECU manufacturer (I know Nistune has this cost), blah blah blah... Also paying people to put this stuff in for you will eat your budget up quickly.

And for your budget question, for a daily, honestly I'd buy something reliable and not do anything with it. Doesn't matter if it's 1k or 10k. There is nothing worse than trying to fix stuff at 1am the morning before work. Honestly just save longer or buy something else.

Last edited:

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Cheap solidly built engine is what Ive heard about em and can run decent HP through em without to many issues. Do the DOT not grant permits for engine swaps?

Do you really think you can get an L67 to meet Euro 4 emissions standards?