Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine swap into rolling shell?

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Ok, some of you may know that I crashed my VR recently ( http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=44231 ), I took it to the smash repairers yesterday to see what they thought, its not worth repairing, it would cost too much. Anyway, so Im weighing up ideas so I can actually get myself a working car. Many people have suggested that I try to find a rolling shell/body of a VR/VS, and put in the motor/gearbox from my VR (since its in perfect working order). Plus, since its a berlina I could swap over most of the interior as well. A few questions though:

1. Where would I find a decent shell of a VR/VS in the Sydney area? It obviously cant be in extreme bad condition or Im back where I started.

2. Is it extremely difficult to swap a motor/transmission/possibly diff if I did it myself. The only tool that I dont have which I will need to find is an engine crane as far as I know.

3. Is it actually legal to do this? Would I be up for big money just to get it registered since it wouldnt have the same motor in it? VIN etc?

4. With swapping an engine, do I need to swap all the wiring, or can I use the loom already on the shell, if its even still there?

Basically I want a drivable car as cheap as possible, I have a lot of time spare which I can work on it, I just dont know if I would be capable of doing it. Im relatively mechanically minded, but I wouldnt know off hand exactly how to do it, I'd have to mess around with it, if you guys get my drift.

Thanks for any help guys, I need it lol.

Nobody Actually

luxo barge
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 wm Caprice
here man, look on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com.au/VR-Commodore...QQihZ008QQcategoryZ102240QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
you can pick up another complete one for penuts. then you swap over what you want to keep, and have the rest towed away.

if you got the shell for free, go for it and swap motors, but if it's going to cost you a couple of hundred bucks and your own time dicking around then you may as well buy a complete one.

my 2c

V-ahhh

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN/VT
you could always buy a vk and put the motor and trans in that?

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
I'd rather stick with a VR :p

So you think it might not be worth messing around with an engine swap? Too hard/time consuming?

Nobody Actually

luxo barge
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 wm Caprice
unless, you have a really nice or worked motor....................no.

however, you could either sell your old one for parts, or pull the old motor and box out and put them in the shed for a rainy day to work on or just as a spare after you blow up or have a problem with the new one.

Remember, this is just my opinion. my mrs's vl got crashed + written off last year, pulled out the motor and box because it was so good and put it into a new shell. lot of work ended up being almost as expensive as buying another complete one.
it's up to you, if you need a car sooner than later buy a complete one.
if you have the time, inclanation and money, do the swap.

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
Hi, dont know where you will get one but a good shell will be an easy swap. Get another vr as you cant pass emmission laws in a vs easily(just guessing but usually cant put an earlier motor in).

dmitch

DonkeySS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS S2
use another vr body.. that way will b a direct swap.. easy enough 2 do.. just allow enough time 2 do it.. should b 1 day but allow a weekend

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Knowing me it would take a week lol. Can you lift out the motor with the gearbox still bolted onto it, and just angle it so it comes straight out? Or do you have to unbolt the gearbox first? Could someone write up a quick explaination of whats involved, what to disconnect first, what to look out for etc? That would be greatly appreciated.

Nobody Actually

luxo barge
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 wm Caprice
yes you can take out both motor and box together, but you'll have to drain your box(assuming it's an auto) first.

tag everything you take off (wires) etc, so that when you put it in he other car, you can look for the same plug, etc.

this isn't a one man job though, so you will need someone to give you a hand

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
1. Where would I find a decent shell of a VR/VS in the Sydney area? It obviously cant be in extreme bad condition or Im back where I started.

A VR with dud motor or trans would be easier to find than a bare shell and there is less chance of having to correct what someone else has stuffed up and the job will be easier.

2. Is it extremely difficult to swap a motor/transmission/possibly diff if I did it myself. The only tool that I dont have which I will need to find is an engine crane as far as I know.

If you have an engine crane, about as easy as any mechanical work gets.

3. Is it actually legal to do this? Would I be up for big money just to get it registered since it wouldnt have the same motor in it? VIN etc?

Swapping into another VR is definitely legal. Using a VR motor in a VS body may be if the emission ADR is the same (I think it is) but there are enough differences between the two models that it would be worth sticking with VR anyway. You will require some proof of ownership of the parts swapped into the vehicle you are registering, which should be straightforward since they are currently in a vehicle already registered in your name. A blueslip inspection will be required because you are changing engine numbers and the RTA will charge a fee to process.

4. With swapping an engine, do I need to swap all the wiring, or can I use the loom already on the shell, if its even still there?

Not an issue with a car with dud motor or trans.