Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

engine swap (ls1 or l67)

vtspeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT acclaim s1
hey guys im getting off my p's soon and am thinking along the lines of swaping my engine over to either a gen 3 ls1 or a l67... just thinking what is the difference in the installation of these engines like is the l67 alot easier to install than the ls1 plus what is the difference in fuel consumption city/country driving... i know the v8 appeal but there are just as many appeals to forced induction.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
LS1 is my recommendation but it will be more difficult to install and you will need to change a lot of other things as well.
Much easier to buy a car with the motor you want already in it, you will hear that a lot.

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
IMHO - don't swap engines, swap cars. Combine money from the sale of your car and the cost to drop a gen3 in your current car and you could probably afford a VX Calais (or S/SS woth manual box) with either L67 or LS1 along with many other features.

DLFHUB666

GIT 'EERRR DONE!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS, PX Ford Ranger XLS Dual cab
L98 FTW.
Message to short.

MR_VX

Forced to be Fast
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S pac SII Raptorcharged
IMHO - don't swap engines, swap cars. Combine money from the sale of your car and the cost to drop a gen3 in your current car and you could probably afford a VX Calais (or S/SS woth manual box) with either L67 or LS1 along with many other features.

^^^^^^ all you need to no right there

cander24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ GTO. VS LS1.
In my opinion, your budget will play a big role here and what your future intensions for the motor are. If your current vt is fairly stock, then as others have suggested i'd be looking for a new car with your motor of choice already in it. If you've spent a bit on it and would rather keep it then there's quite a price gap between the L67 and L98 conversions ($2300 as compared to $5000 as a rough guide). Naturally though, the L67 will be alot more 'plug and play' compared to the L98 which will require many more mods and parts changed to suit it so you'd need to budged for this (eg. exhaust, k-frame, tailshaft etc). You could save a little on this though with the L67 by using your existing auto box just with a 2600 torque converter and L67 flex plate, whereas with the L98 will require the gearbox to be changed.
Most members around here seem to prefer the V8 so I think that's probably the general concensus you'll get. Personally though, i'm going with the L67, though im biased ;)
The L98 will have quite a bit more output in stock form, but the L67's don't take much to 'get up and boogey' either.
My 2c anyway...

vtspeed

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT acclaim s1
yea thats what i was thinking, and yes ive spent a fair bit on the look of my car, so would like to be able to keep it, plus have great memories with it, being first car and everything... with the l67 im pretty sure you would have to change the exhaust anyways cause dont the super six's run dual pipes? so if i get the six all id have to do to the gearbox is a torque converter and flex plate??

cheers for all the comments guys all opionions appreciated.

p.s. does the l67 have a beefier note than the ecotec or just simillar?