Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine swap, motor clanging... Where did it go wrong? Stuffed piston?

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
hes a wrecker in the paper... he looked under the bonnet with a puzzled look, i took the car to a mechanic today and 2 mechanics checked it out.. they said doesnt seem to be pistons or anything, they said sounds like loose flex plate as you guys said.. rang the guy that did the motor swap and he swears blind its not that and the 2 mechanics are morons lol said he will have a look at the flex plate, to leave the car with him but if its not that he will charge me... ended up just saying ok mate il check it on the weekend.. if it turns out its loose and has stuffed anything im going to go over there and get my money back... im sure he will learn next time,when i drag his arse to the ATM to get it back.. happened a week before chistmas my holidays from work were spent sitting at home waiting for the stupid thing to be fixed and handed over almost $1000 plus had to put up with the missus winging at me the whole time...

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
hope it all works out for you mate>? not a good start to 2011
hes a wrecker in the paper... he looked under the bonnet with a puzzled look, i took the car to a mechanic today and 2 mechanics checked it out.. they said doesnt seem to be pistons or anything, they said sounds like loose flex plate as you guys said.. rang the guy that did the motor swap and he swears blind its not that and the 2 mechanics are morons lol said he will have a look at the flex plate, to leave the car with him but if its not that he will charge me... ended up just saying ok mate il check it on the weekend.. if it turns out its loose and has stuffed anything im going to go over there and get my money back... im sure he will learn next time,when i drag his arse to the ATM to get it back.. happened a week before chistmas my holidays from work were spent sitting at home waiting for the stupid thing to be fixed and handed over almost $1000 plus had to put up with the missus winging at me the whole time...

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
ok,to start off brake pedal has gone hard like my booster has gone, but there is no whoosing sound... the booster was replaced 2 months ago with a new one.. any ideas? lifted the car up, got under, 2 nuts missing under steering collumn on the inspection plate... took off the y pipe, undid the steering. noticed bolt from trans to engine bottom left loose as, next bolt up missing. took the starter off and the inspection plate... flex plate was tight. torque converter to flex tight. but the teeth on the flexplate are chewed on edged in spots.... went got starter off my old motor and put that in bolted up the y pipe and started it... still ignition problems... still the rattle was idling high so took the vacume hose off the booster and got the missus to put her finger over it while i was unger the car... noise is coming from in there somewhere at the back any ideas.. checked the oil too and seems real thin... might drain it and put a thicker oil in incase its piston slap. its louder when you listen to it from under the bonnet but there coming from the back area where the transmission bolts up... any ideas on what to do?

Matty.b

VR with 56,000kms genuine
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
take photos of anything you find or even better yet video footage in-order to come back at the inbred if you need to

Blakvsexec

Reaction score
Members Ride
5.0L VS EXECUTIVE
This is the reason i NEVER let anyone else touch my vehicles.

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
i have been, i usually do it myself to, just didnt want to do the change over on timing cover,timing chain and camset when he said he can do it all cheap i went for it.think i might get the mechanic down the road to come look at it now its all open... radiators leaking and alternators squeeling, so might change alternators today and chuck some stop leak in it.

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
ok did up the y pipe properly so all is quiet, cant hear the noise at start, but got it doing it again, flexplate has a slight wobble and that sound is either in the plate or the torque converter.... all bolts are tight as but thats where the noise is... any ideas?

pjdm1980

Shut up Jr I'm thinkin!
Reaction score
Members Ride
E1 GTS BUILD NO# 007, GQ Patrol.
Did you change the flex plate when you got the new motor if so did you use new bolts as those bolt are onetime use bolts only, they might have snapped if used twice?

CHA53R

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
nah was the same flexplate that was on it... thanks for telling me that im going to change flexplates to the one off my blown motor would have put the bolts in lol

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
fyi - flexplate should not have a wobble in it, should spin perfect inline with motor
likely he jammed motor in with flexplate on and bent it = gearbox out!~