Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine swap question?

Juddkunt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Series 3 Ute
As some of you have probably seen I’ve been having trouble with a rattle in the engine. The sound went but came back but the engine just hasn’t been looked after, still runs fine but idk what it is. I thought maybe tappets and the sound is coming up through the throttle bottle because that’s where the sounds coming from but who knows. My mate has a 2000 model VS ute he’s wrecking and the engine is perfect but his is auto and mine is a 5 speed getrag.

Question is can I just lift out the engines and swap them over or is there issues there with the gearbox and computer? I know there’s a difference in some shaft in the gearbox but obviously I’d have the shaft from each so can I just lift the engines and swap them straight over or if not what would I have to do?

Thanks.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Straight swap, no drama at all.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Just need to swap the flex plate to a flywheel.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Simple as unbolt and swap? Yeah well I thought a bit more might of went into it, obviously not ha thanks.

Yep just might need a rattle gun to undo the bolts on the flex plate. They can be pretty tight and difficult to stop the plate rotating if using a bar.

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
You'll need to drill dowels in the crank for the flywheel. Dude, go the whole hog and throw in an L67. i did when I cooked my N/A 6. Best decision i made!

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
One thing you might have to look at is the Valley (inlet Manifold) as being in a 2000 model VS is of VT era and changes were made.

You might find you have to swap over the inlet manifold on the engines. Don't hold me to this but I would investigate before jumping in blindly as the valley gasket set is different for Series II and Series III engines, thus making me think you might have to do a bit more work. There's also a round small barrel type component at the back of the engine (forgot what it is) on the passenger side which isn't there on VS Series I & II but appeared on VT.

Check it out thoroughly.