Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Swap - Vn engine into Vr ute

mojo_gc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Hi guys, i know its illegal to put an older engine into newer car, but i have a vr ute with no engine lined up and a vn with kmac adjustable front suspension, 5spd box with heavy duty clutch etc.

i was wondering if a vn series 1 engine will bolt straight into a vr - s ute. As far as i know the engine has a different radiator hose pip that curves around and goes on top of the vr engines, i can get roady no problem but is there any chance you can make a series 1 3.8L into a series 2 the same as they have in vr's?

I guess mainly, will the engine, suspension and box bolt straight in?
My mate has an engine crane so pretty keen to get started

Cheers
Reece

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yes it will pretty much just bolt straight in there,but is the vehicle going to be registered at all,or is it already registered,If it is then I wouldnt bother with that engine it as the vehicle wont be roadworthy with that engine fitted,and wont pass rego,or will be put off the road at some point if already registered,so it will just be a big waste of your time and money,another thing too is if you got involved a crash,the insurance companys wont pay up because of the unroadworthy condition of the vehicle,so it just not worth it.

deanos70

Reaction score
check with qld roads or whatever you have up there
i know in nsw that should be fine to do as they both comply to the same emission standards of that time
eg the emission standard from back then may have spanned a few years

but check with relavent authorities before you do , dont just take my word for it

mojo_gc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
ok cheers, so there is no chance of converting a series 1 engine into a series 2 and getting around the emissions problem?

Stupid qld rules, makes everything so different

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Im not to sure,I know of guys in NSW who have tried this before and have not been allowed to register the vehicle with an older engine fitted,Ive heard they use the engine number to determine the engine type,year etc,and if its older,it wont pass.If that is the case,then the only way around it would be to change the engine number stamped into the block.

mojo_gc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
ahh k true, sounds a bit dodgy for me, think i will stick to vg, guy has one running with 5spd for 1k..

Just another quick question will my suspension, diff etc i have running on my vn fit straight onto vg ute?
Also i have been told all utes have lsd's is this true or is it just the s pac models, thanks so far guys been very helpful
Reece