Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Swap VS ECOTECH

Lukeymanjohnson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ecotech
Hey guys I’ve got an auto VS Commodore ute I bought it from family friends and it’s had its engine swapped before, it’s an eco tech and I think it might be on its last legs considering the bloke told me it had 250,000 Ks on it (can’t remember if the odometer worked when I bought it or not) and I’ve been driving a fair amount the past year and a bit, but anyways I want to swap out the engine for something bigger but Im sorta clueless on how to go about it what sort of engine should I be looking for?

Lukeymanjohnson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Ecotech
C9958A1B-BB7F-4497-A1E0-647A5F29379A.jpeg

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
only engine that doesn t need engineering is the old aussie 5ltr but prices have gone through the roof with any v8 conversion also the supercharge v6 will fit depends your budget

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
250,000ks is just broken in, plenty of them have made it to 400,000ks plus with regular maintenance.

Could swap in an L67 (supercharged 6) easily enough, but IMHO if you're clueless and don't know what you're looking for you probably shouldn't attempt it until you confidently have a pretty good idea about what you need to do and about your ability on the spanners.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Personally I'd pay to have it done. Unless you have done it before it's not real easy. I had my old engine pulled and refitted twice. I paid both times.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
if you want a v8 ute go buy a v8 ute it wouldn't cost that much more and you would end up with factory reliability . Too ,many parts to get fucked up converting things . We are in the times of being bleed dry when it comes to holdens.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
L67 would be the cheapest upgrade and they can be made to go quite well, plus you have up to VY to source one. Availability of 304s and all the associated parts are becoming scarce and like said it will be easier to just buy a factory V8, if you can find one. Good examples of VS V8 utes are very hard to find and are pulling over $10k.

Phillbert

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS L67 Ute, VX SS
First thing i have to ask is "What's your budget?"
If the motor is old and sad and you want something with a bit more power, get another ecotec and do some work to it before you put it in.
Extractors, Exhaust, Throttle Body, Cold Air Intake, Cam....

If you have a bit of money saved i would try to find a V8 Ute and recoup some money selling the old one.

You can also use an L67 (Supercharged V6) but the cost to do you prob wish you went with the V8 option in the end.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You can also use an L67 (Supercharged V6) but the cost to do you prob wish you went with the V8 option in the end.

Can't see it being as much as a 304 swap. $2k for engine and harness and $1000 to install it. $200 for Memcal. 304 swap will be easy $7k.