Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine swap

Tayla21

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore
Just wondering what would be involved in motor swapping at vz to a vt so a alloytec to a ecotec?? Thanks

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
Im not a clued up as some others on here but such a motor swap would be possible but would require a lot of work and money but even then I dont think you would technically be able to register the vehicle as a VT ecotec engine has very different emissions to a alloytec and I'm fairly certain there is a rule about using older engines in newer cars.

You'd be better off getting VY commodore with an ecotec as it's basically the same car apart from the engine.

Tayla21

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore
Im not a clued up as some others on here but such a motor swap would be possible but would require a lot of work and money but even then I dont think you would technically be able to register the vehicle as a VT ecotec engine has very different emissions to a alloytec and I'm fairly certain there is a rule about using older engines in newer cars.

You'd be better off getting VY commodore with an ecotec as it's basically the same car apart from the engine.
Thanks I have been told if I get it engineered the emissions problem won’t mater am just wanting to fix a car that I have and had that other motor sitting around us all soo I figured it can’t hurt to ask if it’s possible and the work that goes into it

Jezza

Now with LS1 power
Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Statesman International
Thanks I have been told if I get it engineered the emissions problem won’t mater am just wanting to fix a car that I have and had that other motor sitting around us all soo I figured it can’t hurt to ask if it’s possible and the work that goes into it
It is possible but you'd need the wiring, ecu, exhaust and then probably some ways to have it all talk through to the vz stuff and the cost of it would be quite a bit to get it all working.

Tayla21

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz commodore
It is possible but you'd need the wiring, ecu, exhaust and then probably some ways to have it all talk through to the vz stuff and the cost of it would be quite a bit to get it all working.
Sorry let when I say motor it’s still in the car so I should have everything I need car wise I just don’t know what I need to do in order to make it happen ie the do I need to do the k frame and those sort of things and you are assuming money is a issue. I don’t wanna go another alloytec as I’m sick of timing chain problems

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
For the easiest transfer you'd swap the lot. K frame, loom, ecu, bcm, fuse box, tranny, exhaust.... Then you'll need to splice it all together using pinout diagrams. Honestly it would be a total crap fight

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I have been told if I get it engineered the emissions problem won’t mater am just wanting to fix a car that I have

Older design of engine into newer car can't be engineered unless they're the same year (eg RB30 into 1988 VN can be engineered, but not a 1989 VN), or unless they're the same engine with all the model specific gear attached - eg VS Ecotec in a VY. Not to mention, the cost of engineering a standard Ecotec into a standard VZ will totally not be worth it for how much that car is worth, approved VASS engineers ain't cheap.

As far as the conversion goes, you pretty much need a donor VY to do it anyway, there is nothing from the VZ that will work with the Ecotec. Gearbox is different (doesn't bolt up), ECU and loom will not plug into anything on the Ecotec, engine management and tune is different, K-frame is different so an Ecotec doesn't even bolt in to begin with, anything you care to mention pretty much. Not to mention the amount of time spent.

Just buy something else.

Last edited: