Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine swap

Rob450

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore
Ok so I have a 2008 ve V6 ute with a 6 speed manual box, but the motor is stuffed it needs head gaskets, I also have another 2008 ve V6 with an auto gearbox, the motor in that one is good and the auto box is stuffed, can i put that motor out of the auto ve into my ute with the 6 speed manual box? Will it bolt up to the 6 speed box? What needs to be done for it to work?

bluehighway

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais International
Im thinking if the crankshaft stud pattern is the same it should be possible ...In the old days I converted a 253 from auto to manual but the crank stud pattern was off slightly at one bolt to the flywheel ...so I drilled and tapped the crank which solved my problem...the advantage to converting a used auto engine to manual is often the auto engine doesnt get caned as hard because its shifts are more regulated... so im thinking check crankshaft stud pattern the same and bellhousing pattern the same...everything else you might need you could scavenge off your old motor...

Rob450

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz commodore
Im thinking if the crankshaft stud pattern is the same it should be possible ...In the old days I converted a 253 from auto to manual but the crank stud pattern was off slightly at one bolt to the flywheel ...so I drilled and tapped the crank which solved my problem...the advantage to converting a used auto engine to manual is often the auto engine doesnt get caned as hard because its shifts are more regulated... so im thinking check crankshaft stud pattern the same and bellhousing pattern the same...everything else you might need you could scavenge off your old motor...
Yeah thanks for that, I'm thinking it won't work anyway because the motor I'm replacing is the high output V6 and the one I wanted to replace it with isn't a high output,

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Yes you can replace the Motor from your Auto to your Manual,
As long its the Same Engine Code,

LXF > LFX
LEO > LEO
LLT > LLT
LY7 > LY7
etc, etc

Should bolt up ok.

The only difference is,
On the Donor Motor, you need to Swap the Flex Plate from the Auto to the Flywheel.

May I suggest also replacing -
Oil Pump and Chains
&
Engine Mounts

while you have it out.

Last edited: