Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine/traction control light

Timmaay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS
About 2 months ago I was on a freeway, 110, cruise on, felt a slight miss-fire, then the "traction control off" light came on, engine felt like probably 2 cylinders had cut out, then engine check light came on. I pulled over, shut it down, restarted, problem still there. Limped home on what felt like 6 cylinders.

Next day I disconnected the battery for around 12 hours, reconnected, started it up, fine. Changed the spark plugs (140k on the clock), no more issues, apart from a very slightly rough idle, so slight that I wondered if it was always like that to start with.

Wind the clock forward to last night, Mrs was driving, got home, just rolling into the garage, TC light comes on again. Then engine light.

I'll be trying a scan tool on it later today, but just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone? Any ideas? To me it seemed as though the ECU picked up on a slight miss-fire, then shut a pair of cylinders down.....

2011 Series 2 VE, L77 6 litre, 6 speed manual, stock

Timmaay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS
Update; Did a scan, using an el cheapo ELM327 OBD2 bluetoothed to Torque lite app, code 0306 (I think) showed up, misfire detected on number 6 cylinder.....

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Replace the coil. Check the plug is gapped correctly and the insulator isn’t cracked. Also make sure the ‘nipple’ is tight, check the one on the plug too.

Cuzbro

Reaction score
Members Ride
2008 SS VE Wagon
About 2 months ago I was on a freeway, 110, cruise on, felt a slight miss-fire, then the "traction control off" light came on, engine felt like probably 2 cylinders had cut out, then engine check light came on. I pulled over, shut it down, restarted, problem still there. Limped home on what felt like 6 cylinders.

Next day I disconnected the battery for around 12 hours, reconnected, started it up, fine. Changed the spark plugs (140k on the clock), no more issues, apart from a very slightly rough idle, so slight that I wondered if it was always like that to start with.

Wind the clock forward to last night, Mrs was driving, got home, just rolling into the garage, TC light comes on again. Then engine light.

I'll be trying a scan tool on it later today, but just wondering if this sounds familiar to anyone? Any ideas? To me it seemed as though the ECU picked up on a slight miss-fire, then shut a pair of cylinders down.....

2011 Series 2 VE, L77 6 litre, 6 speed manual, stock
I've got the same problems...."traction control off" and Engine Light On....dropped my son off at school yesterday, had a "Fathers day BBQ" car would've been parked for an hour.....left to go home....everything OK
Update; Did a scan, using an el cheapo ELM327 OBD2 bluetoothed to Torque lite app, code 0306 (I think) showed up, misfire detected on number 6 cylinder.....
Hey Timmaay,
Any updates on your above issues???

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Just sent him a PM.

Timmaay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS
I swapped number 4 and 6 plug leads, then drove, to see if the fault came back as number 4 or 6. So far no fault, although I do still think the idle is slightly rough....

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I swapped number 4 and 6 plug leads, then drove, to see if the fault came back as number 4 or 6. So far no fault, although I do still think the idle is slightly rough....
Thanks for that mate.
Good to give feedback for other members with same problem.
Pete

Timmaay

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore SS
Thanks for that mate.
Good to give feedback for other members with same problem.
Pete
Update; the TC light came back on today, plus engine light was flashing orange. Same code (P0306). I cleared the code again and swapped number 1 and 6 coils (I have a new coil ordered, will hopefully be here next week). Drove again, no problems. Getting frustrating how intermittent the problem is, but hoping the new coil will fix it...
Failing that, I will arrange a compression test

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Getting frustrating how intermittent the problem is, but hoping the new coil will fix it...
I feel your frustration I had misfires about every 6mths. for a few years.
Not like your car.
Anyway first time RACQ came out had scanner but didn`t show code numbers cleared code all good.
Next time RACQ came out cleared code gave me code all good.
So I got a scanner and just cleared code when it played up.
Then one day running on 4cyls Pre o2sensors no good.
Replaced all 4 o2sensors been good.