Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine transplant question??

ASIAN_VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 Toyota Supra JZA80 N/a
Hey Y'all

Just wanted to know, what would be involved in doing a 2JZ-GE (non turbo 1993+ supra engine) transplant into a 1992 VP Commodore Exc??
The reasons why i ask,

1. Is cause im thinkin (most likely going to do...) of doing a 1JZ-GTE 2.5litre Twin Turbo into my 1994 Toyota Supra JZA80 SZ (non turbo). Its pretty much a straight swap and its been done a number of times. so i shouldnt come across to many problems :whistling ... (FINGER's CROSS)
and with the left over engine from my Supra 2JZ-GE... thinkin of putting it into the 1992 VP Commodore...

2. but the main reason is... the engine of the VP is on its last run (OVER 333*** on the dial).. im not to sure... but i think one of the Pistons are on its last leg...=( and plus it would be awsumm to have the 2JZ-GE in it.. Use this as my daily and my Supra as weekender to keep the K's down...would be nice...

so anywho... nothing is planned yet.. but would love to know what im up against.. in terms with the 2JZ-GE transplant into the VP..

Any thoughts / comments / threads to help me with...
WILL BE WELL APPRECIATED :D:D:D:D

Cheers,
MAK:D:D:

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
why not just get another motor for your vp. and sell your old motor out of your supra. the thing i would be most worried about is that you are putting a pretty small non turbo motor into a bigger car, and it might not be that cheap to run.
my old man use to always go on about how cheap to run falcon motors are to run on gas, bla bla bla, and how he wanted to put one in his valiant. Now he is finally realised it wouldn't be as cheap to run being in such a heavy car.

i just wouldn't do it unless you were putting a turbo/supercharged motor in it..

quiksilv3r

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII L67 Statesman
A few people have done the 1J and 2J turbo motors into VN-VS commos, so yes it is very possible.

I'm not that cluey on Supras though. Does the non-turbo 2J have any similarities to the very strong turbo-version bottom end? How hard is it to put in the bottom end from a turbo version and strap a turbo to the side of it?

Supras are heavy cars are they not? I think if you leave the option open to turbo the 2JZ in the commo then it would be worth your while (as long as you aren't paying for labour), leaving you with a tt Supra and a na (with an easy turbo option) Commo. Might end up cheaper than rebuilding your commo engine that's on the way out if the 2J is just lying around

ASIAN_VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
A few people have done the 1J and 2J turbo motors into VN-VS commos, so yes it is very possible.

I'm not that cluey on Supras though. Does the non-turbo 2J have any similarities to the very strong turbo-version bottom end? How hard is it to put in the bottom end from a turbo version and strap a turbo to the side of it?

Supras are heavy cars are they not? I think if you leave the option open to turbo the 2JZ in the commo then it would be worth your while (as long as you aren't paying for labour), leaving you with a tt Supra and a na (with an easy turbo option) Commo. Might end up cheaper than rebuilding your commo engine that's on the way out if the 2J is just lying around
im not to sure if its bottom end is as strong as the twin turbo... all i know is if you wanted to swap the bottom end of TT into a N/a.. it will cost a **** load... from the ther forums im apart of..(www.supraforums.com.au).. people tend to stay away from doing the 2JZ-GTE 3.0 twin turbo swap because its expensive and very tricky job to do... Alot of people on that forum, always say to do the 1JZ-GTE 2.5 Twin turbo swap because its pretty much a straight swap with no major headaches:D.
yea supra's are heavy cars... give or take not to sure 1600kg plus!
Yea it might be cheaper... but we'll see... just juggling the cost of my possible options. :D:D
But thanks for your feed back :D:D

ASIAN_VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
why not just get another motor for your vp. and sell your old motor out of your supra. the thing i would be most worried about is that you are putting a pretty small non turbo motor into a bigger car, and it might not be that cheap to run.
my old man use to always go on about how cheap to run falcon motors are to run on gas, bla bla bla, and how he wanted to put one in his valiant. Now he is finally realised it wouldn't be as cheap to run being in such a heavy car.

i just wouldn't do it unless you were putting a turbo/supercharged motor in it..
Althought i would love to find another VP motor.. but most of the ones around i see are over 200k on the dial....:( the engine of the Supra is 2JZ-GE 3.0 inline 6. its only 0.8 smaller den the current engine in the VP. in my opinion i reckon the 2JZ will be able to pull the VP easy. The VP isnt that much heavy then my supra.. so yea i reckon its shouldnt be to expensive to run... but then thats just what i reckon... who knows...
thanks for you feed back :D:D

defa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Commodore
yeah sorry. i should have read through what ya wrote again... yeah, a 3 litre wouldn't be that bad... i see your point for doing the conversion. but if it was me (which it isn't) i would just find another motor. you will find a lower km's one if you hunt around..
whats the go with the 1.5jz's, are they a 2.5 with a 3.0 head or the other way around. i got a feeling that is the way they go. if so ya could chuck you head on the 1jz motor, if turbo and non turbo are the same.

Last edited:

ASIAN_VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah sorry. i should have read through what ya wrote again... yeah, a 3 litre wouldn't be that bad... i see your point for doing the conversion. but if it was me (which it isn't) i would just find another motor. you will find a lower km's one if you hunt around..
whats the go with the 1.5jz's, are they a 2.5 with a 3.0 head or the other way around. i got a feeling that is the way they go. if so ya could chuck you head on the 1jz motor, if turbo and non turbo are the same.
nah all good mate.. :D:D yea i've heard about those 1.5 Jz's going around.. but i dont know what it is... sorry buddy...