Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Trouble...

DenchY

project status = ongoing
Reaction score
Members Ride
86' VL 323ci
VL Berlina 86'
304 5L (looks to be umm.. neverbeen touched...)
NON LSD :ranting:
3 speed Auto

Well when i got this beast... it ran very poor, sluggish needed a good tune.

Took it down to a friend, he had a look.. adjusted timing lessthan the factory setting like 1 or 2 degress this gave it well great pickup, it would windout 1, 2 and 3rd gear easy

well since then i took it to a real mechanic, he put timing to 8 degress (omg.. the power) then bout amonth later i punched the gas in 2nd it droped to 1st and screamed down the road it changed at 4400RPM to 2nd (should change at 4700 (as it has been till then) then the gas went like .. um dead i guess you can say (i pushed gas car went slower..)

so i hit nuetral and it stalled there was almost a sky blue smoke for 5 minutes from exhaust. then the car finialy kicked over and started (this never happened again to date)

altho it stalled twice when i headed off to sydney (5hour drive) temp wassnt overly hot.. started fine

well now it seems to have lost a great amount of power so i started to investigate...

Started with the air intake think its 14" air filter bigger then the shitty factory one anyway.. (made little to no difference)

New sparkies and leads (starts better but no power gain)

Took off the exhaust and cat left extractors on, took it for a drive, when i 'suddenly punched the gas' it would umm cutout cough and splutter then a little bang (only did that once.,.. ) then take off, had a little power gain not much tho. so i took it home

looked into the cat and omg the carbon buildup inside was atleast 10mm think both sides... stuck a screw driver in there till it was kinda seethro, gave it a shake and a washer/seal of somesort fell out, it would be about the size of 5 cent peice with 2 small raises on one side (it was snaped clean in half

power details now...

1st gear poor takeoff after 3000 it seems fine
change to 2nd doesnt spin anymore can still feel the power tho
change to 3rd isnt noticeable other then the revs droping (it use to kick sideways... wtf??)

the gearbox is ready to fall out.. it slips in 'D' so i use it like a manual .. :yeah:

diff is nosie but only need more oil i think it was/is leaking :ranting:

I've done several motor oil changes and filter too
I run shell optimax only normal unleaded makes it run very sluggish

cant think of anything else at moment its midnight and im tired :bang:

DenchY

project status = ongoing
Reaction score
Members Ride
86' VL 323ci
nah it cost me to much so ...

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
Sounds f***ed..

Take it to a mechanic.

DenchY

project status = ongoing
Reaction score
Members Ride
86' VL 323ci
they cost to much tho :( and i got court tomorrow .. no licence

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
i recon your dizzy is stuffed if its cutting out

DenchY

project status = ongoing
Reaction score
Members Ride
86' VL 323ci
dizzy looks ok, plus i tried another off vb sle 5L no difference

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
start with the carby. they are a pain the the butt on those things. i had the same problem a couple times, once it was the fuel pump, next time round teh mech said it was something in the carby. well fuel pump died again so never bothered fixing it cos i can run gas fine (although with powerloss)
id be looking at teh carby anyway, could also be advanced too much... the smoke would scare me.

DenchY

project status = ongoing
Reaction score
Members Ride
86' VL 323ci
yea, ill try timing it back a little .. try 7 i guess, carby should be fine only had it rebuilt like 3 months ago...