Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine Type And Engine Number Question 5.0L

Pete Peattie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2018 Commodore RS BLACK EDITION / 2002 Monaro CV8
I have Oct 87 build VL 5.0L owned for 12 months till Nov 88 by GM as a company car with the engine details on the block and serial number in picture...any
ideas
Engine details.jpg

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
To me, that looks like a fictitious number that's been (quite poorly) re-stamped, VU190221 shouldn't exist!

The "VU" prefix came out in the VN-onward Commodores, and even if it were some kind of a VL 'test mule' with a VN engine, the number sequence should have been up in the high five-hundred-thousands by then.

The date code is a bit hard to read but looks like "3G7" (maybe?), which, if we assume the engine number is wrong, could be July 1977, 1987 or 1997. We'd need more details off the block, like the "308" or "5.0" (or none at all) capacity casts down the side/sides, bellhousing bolt pattern, cylinder head bolt pattern, etc.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I've had a lot of Holden V8's and that engine has certainly been (poorly) restamped so on that front it doesn't tell us a lot. Other than being a July 77 casting. As above VU prefix was run of the mill VN-V8 blocks, assuming its a 87 casting there should be a 5.0L casting on the side of the block, see if thats there for a start.