Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine upgrades: all comments welcome

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I'd be surprised if yours makes more low down torque than mine.
Do you know your intake valve closing timing? Mine's 39 ABDC @ .050
I think your camshaft would make more mid-range power and the engine would rev quicker than daves8. But daves8 camshaft would be much easier for a tuner to get the engine running nicely down low particularly with an auto trans.

Happiness with a road car camshaft upgrade, tends to be more an individual power vs drivability factor in most cases.

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
I think your camshaft would make more mid-range power and the engine would rev quicker than daves8. But daves8 camshaft would be much easier for a tuner to get the engine running nicely down low particularly with an auto trans.

Happiness with a road car camshaft upgrade, tends to be more an individual power vs drivability factor in most cases.
Yes it took a lot to get it good down low.
I'm also now running a converter, but it wasnt needed.

Got it idling nicely at 600rpm in gear now, only 50 above factory

daves8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Calais V 6.0 | 2013 VF Calais V V6 Wagon

Driveability was my number 1 priority.

My previous Calais I has. 224/228/110 LSA with about 640 lift (Patrick Gerra cam) and it was a nightmare to drive.

This time round I wanted a very slight idle, good vacuum / manners, no need to stall converter and then once that was achieved the increased power.

It picked up 50-60rwkw and goes well enough for me!

dassaur

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V8 Wagon
Driveability was my number 1 priority.

My previous Calais I has. 224/228/110 LSA with about 640 lift (Patrick Gerra cam) and it was a nightmare to drive.

This time round I wanted a very slight idle, good vacuum / manners, no need to stall converter and then once that was achieved the increased power.

It picked up 50-60rwkw and goes well enough for me!
I think if you drove mine youd be very happy too!

Reactions: Lex