Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine warm up...?

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing :'(
I have a Ecotech V6, VT series2. Now every morning when I start my car the engine temp is cold for about 10 minutes of driving. I can't sit there waiting for it to warm up as there is always someone waiting for my spot as soon as I unlock it. When driving when its cold I try not to let it rev over 2000... Should I be tryng to keep it lower when cold? Also... should it be like this? The only other cars I have driven before have been V8's and above which arent cold when you start them up. Is it just a v6 thing? Anything I can do to get it to warm up any quicker? How should I drive when it is cold?

Thanks for any help!

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Mate I do the same thing. I dont take mine over 2k aswell, probly dont have to but its a piece of mind thing.
Also mine takes like 5-10 mins to warm up, its a pain in the arse.
My other halfs Mirage is warm in like 2 mins. . . . . .

NVE_069

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wh Statesman LS1
I always thought an have heard with the newer car well from say the vn u didnt have to warm them up unlike the older ones. altho i warm mine up too but drive normal. does it depend on the oil ur usen? as i thought if u had good oil u should be able to start up an drive straight away? im sure there is mixed thoughts on this topic.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
I have a Ecotech V6, VT series2. Now every morning when I start my car the engine temp is cold for about 10 minutes of driving. I can't sit there waiting for it to warm up as there is always someone waiting for my spot as soon as I unlock it. When driving when its cold I try not to let it rev over 2000... Should I be tryng to keep it lower when cold? Also... should it be like this? The only other cars I have driven before have been V8's and above which arent cold when you start them up. Is it just a v6 thing? Anything I can do to get it to warm up any quicker? How should I drive when it is cold?

Thanks for any help!

Nah theres no real need to warm a car up anymore. Not on more modern commodores. But I wouldnt start her straight her up and start revvin her to 5000 either :p

Maybe a new thermostat could help if your car is taking ages to warm up, but generally thats just how they are. My VN is the same basically. But dont try and keep it under 2000 if you dont want to as there is no need for it on the modern engines.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahh... sweet. Thanks guys! I don't think I'll be getting a new thermostat, I'm still waiting to save up $500 to spend on a new fuel sender unit which is stuffed!!
I think like deserthead said, keeping it under about 2000 is a piece of mind thing, but good to know its ok if i go a little over.
thanks again :)

veclubby

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Clubsport
how long ago was it wen u replaced your radiator cap?

last service i did and makes the car warm up alot quicker, guess it's just coz it keeps it at a higher pressure.

but yeh they are only $10 and normally they need replacing every 2-3 years.

cheers
ryan

deserthead

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS III l67 Column Shift Ute
Ah I should have mentioned that the times there for the car to warm up is normal driving not sitting there.
I only let it sit there for bout a minute when its on LPG to let the idle smooth out.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
hmm, 10 mins...that seems a little long-ish. mine takes about 2-3mins tops to get to running temp ( 1/4 up the temp gauge). 10 mins is a long time when you put in in perspective, id be a little concerned.

MikesVT

M&M =D
Reaction score
Members Ride
maybe a little less than 10, its not that it stays at 'cold' for that long, it slowly warms up, but i mean to the normal temp between 1/4 and half way. I'll try the radiator cap, I've only had the car 7 months so i wouldnt have a clue how long its been.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
Nah theres no real need to warm a car up anymore. Not on more modern commodores. But I wouldnt start her straight her up and start revvin her to 5000 either :p

Maybe a new thermostat could help if your car is taking ages to warm up, but generally thats just how they are. My VN is the same basically. But dont try and keep it under 2000 if you dont want to as there is no need for it on the modern engines.

I'd have to disagree, when the engine is cold the lubricants aren't up to temperature and aren't going to do their job as effectively, I don't care if it's a 1950's morris or a 2006 beemer that basic fact is not going to change. Also as engine components heat up they expand slightly, flogging the arse off it and putting too much force through cold components that aren't at their normal operating clearances yet just doesn't seem like a good idea. While newer cars definitely warm up quicker than older ones thanks to smartarse cooling system and the like and engine design's have improved to take more abuse, I still reckon it's good to take it easy till it gets up to temperature.